Contemporary Music Group
The Contemporary Music Group has a flexible make-up and specialises in contemporary repertoire.
In recent years it has given concerts across a broad range of themes including:
- Vocal music composed by Welsh composers
- contemporary Polish music
- a 70th-birthday tribute to the American composer Steve Reich
- works by living female composers
- the 100th-birthday of American composer Elliott Carter
- contemporary African music
- the 100th-anniversary of the birth of Oliver Messiaen.
This auditioned group has members from schools across the whole University.
- Auditioned: Audition required
- Conductor: Robert Fokkens
- Rehearsals: Monday, 16:00-18:00, Concert Hall
The Contemporary Music Group is open to all Cardiff University students with auditions taking place each September. For more information on auditioning please contact email@example.com.
Director: Dr Robert Fokkens
Dr Fokkens is a South African composer based in the UK. He teaches composition for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at the School of Music.
His music is regularly performed in major venues in the UK, South Africa, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, Australia, the USA and Japan. It has been broadcast on BBC Radio 3, Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio, Swedish Radio P2 and various South African radio stations.
In addition to a significant body of chamber music and music for large ensembles and orchestra, he writes frequently for the voice, both in concert and dramatic contexts.