Five Reasons to learn Portuguese this summer
4 May 2016
Have you been thinking about learning a new skill or maybe even just taking up a new hobby this summer?
Why not try our intensive Portuguese conversation course for absolute beginners this June. No existing knowledge is needed so all are welcome! Here’s five reasons to join us;
- If you’re venturing to Brazil for the summer Olympics in Rio this August, we are offering you the perfect opportunity to learn a new skill and put it in to practice. Aside from the Olympics, Brazil is a wonderful place to visit. If you’re tempted by the wonderful beaches or Carnival, it’s always beneficial to learn the language.
- With the summer holidays just around the corner many of us will be planning a trip to Europe or maybe even further afield. Portuguese is spoken in popular holiday destinations, Portugal and Cape Verde and although not an official language, is also spoken in some areas of India. Why not try our course to be able to converse with the locals and fully immerse yourself in the culture.
- Course tutor, Ms Larissa Berquo is from Brazil so you’ll have the benefit of being taught the language from a native-speaker.
- Many words and aspects of Portuguese are shared with the Romance languages, ie languages that came from Latin, such as Spanish, Italian and French so it may help if you’ve previously studied any of these languages.
- Over 200 million people speak Portuguese worldwide and it is in fact the 6th most spoken language in the world.
There will be six 3-hour sessions running from Monday 13th June to Thursday 23rd June 2016. The course will consist of a small group of up to a maximum of 16 people in a class so students really do get the most out of these sessions. All course materials will be provided on the first session and students get the benefit of extensive use of our digital language laboratories as well as audio material available throughout the summer via our on-line learning platform.
More information can be found on our website, including accessibility information, as well as information about other language programmes we offer through Continuing and Professional Education at Cardiff University, which includes Beginner, Intermediate and Advance classes.