New research group addresses corporate governance
9 November 2016
Cardiff Business School is preparing for the launch of a new, interdisciplinary research group focused on addressing issues and challenges relating to corporate governance.
The Cardiff Corporate Governance Research Group will be officially launched on Monday 5 December 2016. The group consists of a diverse selection of academics from multiple disciplines, including accounting, finance, law, taxation and organisation studies.
Group members, who are working at the forefront of their disciplines, are studying a number of important issues and research questions related to corporate governance. These include:
- boards of directors (corporate governance and leadership; board diversity; CEO successions in family firms; director and corporate networks);
- international corporate governance (tax avoidance, reputation and corporate governance; cross-listings and corporate governance);
- executive compensation (excessive CEO remuneration; executive incentive packages and innovation)
- corporate governance in new ventures (initial public offerings and corporate governance);
- corporate governance of banks (the role of the law in holding bankers liable for their excesses; corporate governance and the risk-return profile);
- corporate governance in China.
The launch event will provide attendees with an insight into the current research work of Group members and expound upon the Group’s overarching research ambitions. A half day of presentations from the Group’s expert members will include a session on the Grand Challenges and Wicked Questions in Corporate Governance Research and Practice and conclude with a panel discussion on Why Policy Makers Don’t Make Use of Corporate Governance Research.
The launch will be sealed and celebrated with a gala dinner at the Park Plaza, Cardiff.
Professor Marc Goergen, director of the Cardiff Corporate Governance Research Group, said: “We are pleased to be launching this new research group and look forward to welcoming all guests to the Hilton Hotel in December to hear more about the Group’s motivation and current activity.
“The work of the group could not be more relevant. Rarely is there a day where the media are not discussing some element of corporate governance, whether that’s executive pay, bank risk, tax avoidance or diversity at board level. These questions have an impact outside of the business world and are of concern to society more widely. Corporate governance research, and the ambitions of the group, are therefore fully aligned with Cardiff Business School’s Public Value strategy, promoting social value alongside the economic.”
The Cardiff Corporate Governance Research Group launch will take place at the Hilton Hotel, Cardiff from 1pm on Monday 5 December 2016. It is open to alumni as well as local and national practitioners and academics with an interest in corporate governance. There is no registration charge for the event, but places are limited. Further information and full details of the event programme can be found online, alternatively please contact CardiffCG@cardiff.ac.uk.