Festival of digital storytelling
13 May 2016
The School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies will hold a week of public events to celebrate digital storytelling and digital journalism.
Festival organiser Professor Karin Wahl-Jorgensen said “For anybody interested in digital media and the future of journalism we are living in exciting times.
“We have put on a Festival of Digital Storytelling to highlight cutting-edge developments and to explore some of the key challenges for the journalism profession.
“Our talks will explore what the future might look like with presentations on satellite reporting, robot journalism, and the increasing role of liveblogs.”
The week begins on Monday May 16th with Emma Meese from the School’s Centre for Community Journalism discussing how the sector is driving innovation in local news. She will be joined by journalists from Wrexham.com and Deeside.com
Also on Monday a Google News Lab and Trinity Mirror Group workshop will see bite size presentations detailing some of the tools, tips and tech that journalists are using around the world to complement their stories. MSc Computational and Data Journalism co-director Glyn Mottershead will provide practical examples to help inspire and engage audiences.
Tuesday opens with digital stories produced by postgraduate journalism and media students exploring forms of storytelling utilising digital media by non-professional storytellers.
Wednesday’s seminar will explore how digital stories can help ‘give voice’ to patient and family experience in health care contexts and is led by Dr Jenny Kidd, Lisa Heledd Jones and Professor Jenny Kitzinger.
The week concludes with a major symposium featuring talks by leading practitioners and international experts such as Jay Rosen of New York University, a leading writer on journalism in the digital age. The symposium will close with a talk and screening from digital storytelling pioneer Daniel Meadows.
All events are free and open to the public.
- Monday May 16th, 11 AM-1 PM: Innovation and storytelling in community news (Room 0.53, Bute Building)
- Monday, May 16th, 3-5 PM: Digital News Roadshow - Google News Lab and Trinity Mirror (Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff )
- Tuesday, May 17th, 11 AM -1 PM: Digital Stories Screening (Room 1.20, Bute Building - No booking necessary)
- Wednesday, May 18th, 4 PM: Digital storytelling: exploring patient and family experience of hospitals and medical treatment (Room 0.05, Bute Building)
- Thursday, May 19th, 9 AM - 7 PM: Digital Media, Journalism and Factual Storytelling Symposium (Bute Building)
Follow the events using #digimedia16