Learned Society of Wales
7 Mai 2014
Fifteen Cardiff University academics, who represent a broad range of academic disciplines, are amongst 43 individuals recently elected as Fellows of the Learned Society of Wales.
They join 106 of their Cardiff colleagues, who have previously been elected to the Society, in recognition of their contribution to research, scholarship and learning in Wales.
Sir John Cadogan, the Society's President, said: "We have once again elected a further very strong cohort of new Fellows, to add to the existing list of excellent Founding Fellows and Fellows.
"Over the coming years, our Fellowship will continue to grow by election judged by peer review. To be elected will continue to be a target for our young scholars."
The newly-elected Fellows from Cardiff University are:
School of Biosciences
- Professor David Lloyd FLSW, Honorary Professor of Microbiology
- Professor Frank Sengpiel FSB FLSW, Professor of Neuroscience
Cardiff Business School
- Professor Richard Delbridge AcSS FBAM FLSW, Dean of Research, Innovation and Enterprise
School of Computer Science & Informatics
- Professor Malcolm Brown FLSW, Professor of Computer Science
School of Engineering
- Professor Michael Scott FLSW, Consultant IQE plc; Industrial Adviser
School of English, Communication & Philosophy
- Professor Ruth Chadwick AcSS FSB FRSA FLSW, Emerita Professor of Medical and Bioethics
- Professor Katie Gramich FEA FLSW, Professor of English Literature
- Professor Ann Heilmann FEA FLSW, Professor of English Literature
- Professor Alessandra Tanesini FLSW, Professor of Philosophy
- Professor Alison Wray AcSS FLSW, Research Professor of Linguistics
School of Medicine
- Professor Keith Harding CBE FRCGP FRCP FRCS FLSW, Dean of Clinical Innovation, Director, Institute for Translation, Innovation, Methodology and Engagement, and Head of Wound Healing Research Unit
- Professor Stephen Palmer FFPHM FRCP FLSW, Mansel Talbot Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health; Chair, Welsh Government Health Protection Committee
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Professor Christopher McGuigan FLSW, Professor of Medicinal Chemistry
School of Social Sciences
- Professor Paul Atkinson AcSS FRAI FLSW, Distinguished Research Professor of Sociology
- Dr Sara Delamont DSc AcSS FLSW, Reader.
The Learned Society was founded in 2010, with the aim of celebrating and encouraging excellence in all scholarly disciplines, promoting learning and scholarship and the dissemination of excellence in Welsh research.
Election to Fellowship of the Learned Society of Wales is via nomination by existing Fellows and is open to those who have a demonstrable record of excellence and achievement in any of the academic disciplines or who, being members of the professions, the arts, industry, commerce or public service, have made a distinguished contribution to the world of learning.