New MSc Data Science and Analytics
25 November 2015
Data is increasingly cheap and ubiquitous, and is being collected on a massive scale. There is a significant and growing demand for professionals who can work efficiently and effectively with handling such complex and sizeable data and to extract insights to help inform decision-making. Taught by experts in Statistics, Operational Research and Computer Science, this programme will help you develop both the theoretical understanding and practical experience of applying methods drawn from data science and analytics. This will equip you with a range of in-demand skills for extracting and handling ‘big data’, discovering and communicating meaningful patterns from the data, and applying modelling tools to help businesses and government organisations make better decisions.
Our new and innovative MSc in Data Science and Analytics has several distinguishing features:
- Our combination of Data Science and Analytics will provide students with a breadth of knowledge and skills suitable for a range of careers where graduates are in particularly high demand.
- Taught by experts from across two academic schools (Mathematics, and Computer Science and Informatics) thus providing you with the opportunity to study a range of subjects at the forefront of our disciplines.
- The opportunity for an industrial based 3-month dissertation project, allowing you to gain real-world experience and appreciation, helping you stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs. Some of these will placements will be abroad given our strong international links.
- Skills learned are highly transferable for use within industry, business and the public sector
- Close collaboration with many organisations that employ Data Scientists, Operational Researchers, Statisticians, Computer Scientists, and Financial Modellers.
- Synergy with several research institutions across Cardiff University, including the Data Innovation Research Institute, OSCAR Open Source Communications, Analytics and Research Development Centre, Social Data Science Lab, and Health Modelling Centre Cymru.
- This course includes an opportunity for a placement in data science, analytics, OR and Statistics (sector) for 3 (months). Previous placements have been with Admiral, British Airways, Government, Lloyds Banking Group, Welsh Water, Office for National Statistics, Sainsbury’s, Virgin Media, Transport for London, Deloitte (names of organisations).
Full course details can be found here.