We aim to grow our world-leading research, delivering disciplinary excellence and interdisciplinary distinction, increasing our international profile and generating global impact.
To realise this research ambition the College of Biomedical and Life Sciences has structured its research around five broad themes with evidence of underpinning excellence:
The themes are intended to support the objectives of the University’s strategy The Way Forward 2018-2023.They will be the primary research drivers, and will facilitate the development and integration of research across the full spectrum of the College’s activities.
The themes will:
- enable the College to develop critical mass, coherence and scale
- deliver excellence across a broad range of College research activities
- identify, build and support inter- and intra-College collaborations
- foster research where the College has the potential to be world leading
- identify and grow interdisciplinary research synergies
- aid the development and enhancement of international links
- facilitate better engagement with external funders
- provide focus in the pursuit of Cardiff University’s ‘Way Forward’ strategy.
Each theme has an appointed ‘Lead’ with oversight from the College’s Dean of Research.
- Integrative Biosystems – Professor Peter Kille (School of Biosciences)
- Mind, Brain and Neuroscience – Professor Jeremy Hall (School of Psychology)
- Infection, Inflammation and Immunity – Professor Simon Jones (School of Medicine)
- Cancer – Professor John Chester (School of Medicine)
- Population Health – Professor Shantini Paranjothy (School of Medicine)