Day Surgery Unit
Royal Gwent Hospital, Cardiff Road, Newport, NP20 2UB
Telephone: 01633 238325 E-mail: Jane.email@example.com
The Day Surgery Unit cares for patients coming into hospital for the day to undergo planned, routine operations and investigations. The Unit is open Monday to Friday from 07.00hrs until 22.00hrs. It is a nurse led service and includes the specialities of gynaecology, general surgery, orthopaedic, ear nose and throat, chronic pain management and dermatology, performed under general and local anaesthetics.
Key Learning Opportunities:
- Ward – Admission, Pre-op Check List, Post Operative Care and Discharge
- Anaesthetics – Airway, Breathing Circulation, Medication and Maintenance
- Theatre, Infection Control, Health and Safety, Management of Waste, Management of Swabs Needles and Instruments and Equipment
- Recovery, Care of the Unconscious Patient, Monitoring of Observations, Pain and Nausea Requirements, Medicines Management, Care of Patients following Spinal Anaesthetics
- Discharge of patients, telephone follow-up.
Theatre scrubs will be provided. Please bring in shoes that are wipe-able and can be kept for use only in DSU
Last Updated: 28 July 2014