Mrs Wendy Cumines
My main research interests include:
- Development, reliability and validity of children’s OT assessments.
Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) and handwriting difficulties.
Children’s participation in leisure and recreation.
Development of integrated services and collaborative working between Health and Educational sectors.
- I am currently involved in a collaborative project between Cardiff University Health Board Children’s OT service and the Local Authority Specialist Support Teachers. Work is ongoing and has resulted in the production of training materials and a good practice guide on handwriting and motor skills for use by teachers in mainstream schools across Cardiff. Future plans to evaluate the impact and publish the guide are being pursued.
- I have been awarded a Teaching Development Grant (2011/2012) to develop teaching resources for OT students on paediatric clinical practice. Development and evaluation of the content of the resources will involve Students, Lecturers and OT practitioners.
- A reliability and validity study of the Detailed Assessment of Speed of Handwriting (DASH). Dissertation for MA SEN (2007).
- Survey of SENCo awareness of handwriting policy and practice (2007).
- Service evaluation of OT handwriting assessment and intervention (2005).