Research in the School of Mathematics extends across several areas, notably Analysis and Differential Equations, Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Physics, Operational Research and Statistics. Each field has its own highly active research group, which collaborates with leading academic researchers throughout the world.
The School offers a lively postgraduate environment, with a large community of postgraduate researchers working in all its specialist areas. In addition to the substantial funds it attracts from the Research Councils and European Union, the School receives significant awards from the Leverhulme Trust, the Ministry of Defence, the Wellcome Trust, GlaxoSmithKline, and Proctor and Gamble.
The Research in the School is centred around:
- Analysis and Differential Equations
- Applied and Computational Mathematics
- Mathematical Physics
- Number Theory
- Operational Research
Three centres run in conjunction with the School:
- Healthcare Modelling Centre Cymru (hmc2)
- Wales Institute of Mathematical and Computational Sciences (WIMCS)
- Centre for Optimisation and Its Applications