Rules and Regulations
All users of the facility are expected to observe the following. If they fail to comply they will lose their access rights.
- Food and drink are not permitted within the facility.
- All waste material (including laboratory gloves) should be properly disposed of outside of the facility – we are not responsible for your waste.
- Coats and bags when left on the floor in a low light environment represent a tripping hazard. Either hang them on the internal door hooks or, better still, do not bring them into the Imaging suites.
- Do not use any equipment that you have not been properly trained for. All users should familiarise themselves with the appropriate risk assessments for the procedures being undertaken – please refer to Health & Safety section of website.
- All systems should be correctly powered down at the end of your session and usage correctly logged.
- Please keep to your allotted booking time. You are being charged from the time that your booking starts, not when you eventually turn up.
- Cancellations should be made at least 24 hours in advance. If you fail to turn up for a booking you will be charged.
- To avoid wasting our time and your money please view all samples under standard epifluorescence optics before bringing them over for confocal scanning. Samples must be fluorescent. If you can not see your fluorescent labelling under conventional epifluorescence optics, you will not be able to see it using the confocal microscope.
- Please use fluorochromes that are optimally excited by the confocal microscope (laser lines: 405, 458, 476, 488, 496, 514, 543, 633).
- For multiple labelling experiments, particularly for co-localisation studies, please choose your fluorochromes carefully to avoid cross-talk.
- Please use a fade-retarding mountant (preferably hard-setting) to reduce photo-bleaching of your samples.
- Please do not use coverslips thicker than 0.17mm.
- If coverslips are cracked do not attempt to view them with oil immersion objectives.
- Please seal coverslips with nail varnish or use a mounting medium that solidifies before viewing. Do not observe specimens until the nail varnish or mounting medium has hardened. Use Kim wipes (provided) to clean slides & coverslips.
- Only use lens tissue to clean objectives. Never use tissue paper.
- When acquiring a “Z series” please secure your slide to the stage with the stage clips.
- Please bring a storage medium along with you (CD-R/RW or portable USB storage device e.g. flash drive, not DVD-R/RW).
- The PC connected to the confocal system is for data acquisition, not data storage. Do not leave your data on the PC without backing it up – it will be erased.
- If you are unsure of anything, please ask. We will do our best to help.
Page content written and maintained by Dr. A.J. Hayes and Mr. M. Isaacs