Organise your own event
Whether you're planning a reunion of your year group or a networking event, the key to success is careful planning and allowing yourself enough time to get things off the ground.
Tips on arranging a successful event
- Think about how you're going to fund the event – are you going to sell tickets? Keep costs realistic to avoid putting people off.
- Who would you like to invite? Alumni from a particular year group, course, club, society or hall of residence?
- Consider the possibility of 'piggy-backing' onto one of our existing events. Get in touch to find out more.
- Form a small committee and share tasks.
- Consider whether you want to include partners and families.
- Always include a list of invitees in your correspondence – it encourages people to attend.
- Include a list of 'lost' alumni – someone might still be in touch with them.
- Are you happy for your contact details to be published online so alumni can get in touch?
Event planning toolkit
Eventbrite is a free online service that can help you promote your event, manage tickets and organise guest lists.
How we can help
The Development and Alumni Relations division holds a database of Cardiff University alumni who have kept in touch with us. Due to the Data Protection Act, we are unable to share contact details, but we can email people on your behalf asking them to get back to you.
Remember our data is only as good as the information we receive from alumni, so it really is worth keeping your details up to date with us.
For details of lecture rooms, dinner venues and meeting spaces available to hire, please see our conference and facilities web pages. For help with your catering requirements, see our dedicated web pages. Please note that Aberdare Hall is booked directly through Catering rather than Conferences.
The Students' Union is always pleased to welcome back alumni and can provide dinners and buffets in a separate area in one of the bars, depending on the size of your event. Please contact SUEvents@cardiff.ac.uk for more information.
If you would like to arrange a tour of your old School, please contact the School directly.
Interested in holding your event outside of the University? See the Visit Cardiff website for dining and conference facilities at local hotels in Cardiff. Please note that we do not endorse the businesses listed on this website.
There are a good number of hotels, B&Bs and guest houses in Cardiff, some of which you can find on the Visit Cardiff website. Please note these are not endorsed by Cardiff University.
During vacation times, some University halls of residence may be available for hire. Find out more on our group accommodation web pages.
The Alumni Office can list details of your event on our website, and we'd be happy to include your contact details so guests can contact you directly.
There may be opportunities to advertise your event via our communication channels and social media accounts. But it's also a great idea to create a Facebook event of your own for the reunion – it can really help to build excitement and encourage more people to attend. If you have any Twitter users in your organising committee, get them to tweet about the event too.