Careers and employability
94% of our graduates were in employment and/or further study, due to start a new job or course, or doing other activities such as travelling 15 months after the end of their course (HESA data).
Many start work following graduation, and their employment options include a broad range of employers from public to private sectors; British Council, RWS Group, Sony and KPMG have been the top four employers for our graduates over the past three years.
Other employers have included Amazon, Ernst & Young (EY), Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme, Jigsaw and TransPerfect. Many career destinations relate directly to using languages, for example, translator, teacher, language assistants, export assistants and proof-readers.
Our work-based placements can also help develop the skills and experience needed to succeed within a competitive job market.
In addition to this, modern language graduates are very employable and are able to pursue other professional careers within business, social care, marketing and commerce.
Focused career support
Our Careers and Employability service offers information, advice and guidance to our students at every stage, delivering a tailored range of career-related events throughout the year. Whatever your career ambitions, we can help you to start your journey with our range of focused careers and employability activities.
Careers and employability support includes:
- one-to-one sessions by appointment
- master classes on CV writing, application forms and interview workshops
- career planning sessions including career options for your Modern Languages degree
- LinkedIn masterclass
- professional networking events
- professional guest speakers from a wide range of sectors (e.g. Translator, Interpreter, Teacher and business related occupations)
- work experience placement advice
- teacher placements
- specialist support from Go Wales
- mock interviews
- information on internships and graduate training programmes
- Enterprise activities and support to develop your own basic website and app
- links to the Global Opportunities Centre (GOC)
- opportunity to complete an employability award (Cardiff Award)
- up-to-date careers information and links to additional graduate careers information.
The Careers and Employability service is located on Park Place. Careers interviews for Modern Language undergraduates and postgraduates are available via the student intranet, follow the links to 'Careers Account'.
Careers and Employability
HESA data: Copyright Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2020. The Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived by third parties from its data. Data is from the latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2017/18, published by HESA in June 2020.