British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships
We invite researchers to submit an expression of interest for the British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships with Cardiff University as the host organisation.
British Academy offers three year Fellowships for early career researchers in the humanities or social sciences, offering a major career development opportunity. There are currently up to 45 awards each year.
British Academy postdoctoral fellowships offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship. The primary emphasis is on completion of a significant piece of publishable research, which will be assisted by full membership of an academic community of established scholars working in similar fields.
Applicants must be:
- any British citizen or EEA National; or
- anyone of any nationality with UK doctorate; or
- able to demonstrate ‘prior association with the UK academic community’ through, for example, already having been employed in a temporary capacity (of at least twelve months) at a UK university.
Applicants must hold early-career status - defined as being within a three-year period from the award of a doctorate. For 2022 applicants must either:
- hold, or expect to hold, a doctorate awarded following a viva voce held between April 2020 and April 2023 (early career status; expected); or
- possess an acceptable case for exemption from the recency of postdoctoral status (eg interruption to an academic career for maternity leave, family commitments, illness etc).
Applicants should not hold, or have held, a permanent academic post.
Previously unsuccessful applicants are only able to submit another application to this scheme if advised formally of their eligibility to do so by the British Academy.
Visit the British Academy website for further details of eligibility criteria.
Submit your expression of interest
The next call for applications is expected to close in October 2022.
To express interest in this scheme, and to join or view our applicant workshops in Spring (May), Summer (July) 2022 or sign up for Q&A sessions, please email email@example.com with the following details:
- Your full name
- Your discipline and expected host school
We will put you in touch with your proposed host school if you are not already in contact with them.
As an applicant, you must ensure your host school has discussed your intention to apply well in advance of submitting an application. You are strongly recommended to express your interest in this scheme as early as possible, and by the end of August 2022 at the latest, to comply with internal school deadlines. These are typically in August/September.
Please note that Cardiff University operates a robust triage and peer review process for all applications to ensure those of the highest quality are submitted to the British Academy.
For general enquiries, and to sign up for an applicant workshop, please contact: