School Research Ethics Committee
Research involving human participants, human material and/or human data is subject to formal ethical review and approval before such work can be started.
Our Research and Ethics Committee is responsible for granting ethical approval for non-clinical research involving human participants, material or data. This applies to:
- all PhD and Professional Doctorate student projects
- members of staff undertaking research not requiring HRA ethical approval
- masters students (excluding MSc Advanced Practice)
- members of staff undertaking research not requiring HRA ethical approval.
The Committee will also oversee the administration of undergraduate research projects.
The following documents are available to help you prepare your application:
Guidance on what to include in your research protocol can be found on Learning Central.
Submission and meeting dates
Meetings take place on a monthly basis but applications must be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date in order to allow time for them to be reviewed.
|Application submitted by||Meeting date|
|Tuesday 7 July 2020||Tuesday 28 July 2020|
|Tuesday 15 September 2020||Tuesday 6 October 2020|
|Tuesday 20 October 2020||Tuesday 10 November 2020|
|Tuesday 17 November 2020||Tuesday 8 December 2020|
|Tuesday 22 December 2020||Tuesday 12 January 2021|
|Tuesday 19 January 2021||Tuesday 9 February 2021|
|Tuesday 16 February 2021||Tuesday 9 March 2021|
|Tuesday 16 March 2021||Tuesday 6 April 2021|
|Tuesday 20 April 2021||Tuesday May 2021|
|Tuesday 18 May 2021||Tuesday 8 June 2021|
|Tuesday 15 June 2021||Tuesday 6 July 2021|
|Tuesday 6 July 2021||Tuesday 27 July 2021|
Application and Lead Reviewer comments are considered by the Committee and a decision is communicated to the applicant within 5 working days of the date of the meeting .
Committee recommendations can include:
- pass with amendments - amendments to be forwarded to Chair and Lead Reviewer for final decision
- pass proceed with supervisor collaboration - applicant to confirm to Committee Chair minor amendments have been addressed
- resubmit to relevant Committee once amendments addressed
- decline - applicant to consider a new or altered project with a new application submitted to a relevant committee.
Research can only commence for projects when ethical approval has been granted.
Information regarding ethical approval for clinical research involving human participants, material and/or data can be accessed via the NHS Health Research Authority
For further information please contact: