Vice-Chancellor announced as member of City Region Board
20 November 2013
Vice-Chancellor Professor Colin Riordan is to play a crucial role on a new Board set up to drive economic competitiveness in South East Wales.
The Minister for Economy, Science and Transport Edwina Hart has announced the membership of the new South East Wales City Region Board, naming Professor Riordan as a Vice-Chair.
Chaired by Roger Lewis, Group Chief Executive of the Welsh Rugby Union, Professor Riordan will support Roger on the Board alongside Cardiff Council's Cabinet Member for Finance & Economic Development, Councillor Russell Goodway who will also take up a position on the Board as Vice-Chair. Other board members have been drawn from the most senior levels in Local Government, the private sector and higher education.
The announcement of the Board is the latest step in further embedding the development and delivery of City Regions in Wales. The South East Wales City Region Board will play a critical role in providing the leadership, vision and strategic direction for the City Region.
Professor Colin Riordan said: "This gives us the opportunity to create a dedicated vehicle to spearhead the economic renewal of a region that needs to catch up with the more economically successful regions in the European Union. To this end I have been asked by the Minister to lead a fact-finding mission to Stuttgart, Cardiff's twin city, which is today one of the most successful city-regions in Europe. Although we cannot emulate what they have done in Stuttgart, because each city-region has its own unique character, we can and should seek to learn from its experience."
Roger Lewis said: "This is an exciting opportunity to bridge the traditional boundaries between private and public sector, enabling us all to work together to achieve shared aspirations for prosperity, well-being and growth for South East Wales and, indeed, the rest of the country.
"The calibre of individuals who have also accepted the opportunity to serve on this Board is an excellent indication of the shared consensus, commitment, and enthusiasm that the City Region approach is already generating in Wales."
Professor Kevin Morgan from the University's School of Planning and Geography, and Dean of Engagement will be acting in an advisory role to the South East Wales City Region Board.
South East Wales City Region Board
- Roger Lewis, Chair, Group Chief Executive Officer, Wales Rugby Union.
- Professor Colin Riordan, Vice Chair, Vice-Chancellor, Cardiff University.
- Cllr Russell Goodway, Vice Chair, Cabinet Member for Finance & Economic Development, Cardiff Council.
- David Stevens, Member, Chief Operating Officer, Admiral.
- Matthew Hammond, Member, Regional Chair, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Dan Langford, Member, Group Marketing and Communications Director, Acorn Recruitment.
- Ann Beynon, Member, Wales Director, BT.
- Cllr Bob Wellington, Member, Leader, Torfaen County Borough Council.
- Cllr Brendan Toomey, Member, Leader, Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council.
- Cllr Peter Fox, Member, Leader, Monmouthshire County Council.
- Cllr Bob Bright, Member, Leader, Newport City Council.
- Professor Julie Lydon, Member, Vice Chancellor, University of South Wales.
- Professor Brian Morgan, Member, Professor of Entrepreneurship & Director, Creative Leadership and Enterprise, Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- John Phillips, Member, Regional Secretary, GMB Union.