Careers advice and support
The University will continue to support you after graduation. The following services are available to you:
Our Careers and Employability team are currently working from home and continuing to offer graduate support remotely. For the latest careers news and events follow @CardiffCareers on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Cardiff alumni can also receive personalised careers advice for up to two years after graduation including:
- access to brand new Class of 2020 resources and support to help prepare you for the job market
- online employability information and support via Your Career Journey - e-mail email@example.com to request access
- drop-in appointments are currently available over the phone or via Skype, but may be available in person in the future
- one 30-minute 1:1 careers appointment or mock interview. In order to access this appointment you will need to complete the Personality Indicator and Skills and Attributes Indicator exercises on Your Career Journey. Once completed please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to unlock your 30-minute appointment
- online CV and application advice via the CV and Application Form Management tool located under the 'Profile' menu on your Careers Account
Please note, during periods of high student demand, particularly October and November, careers advice to alumni may not be available.
To see a careers adviser:
- register as a graduate via Careers Account - you will need to include your student number (without the 'C') and current contact details.
- upon booking you will be asked to express your appointment preference – telephone or Skype.
Careers fairs, workshops and events
Cardiff University alumni can attend a variety of bespoke fairs, skills workshops and employer presentations that run throughout the year. A reduced number of events will be offered virtually during the Coronavirus outbreak. View the events calendar and make bookings via your Careers Account.
Careers and vacancy information
Resources available include:
- Jobs Board - opportunities posted by employers targeting Cardiff students and alumni. To view vacancies and set up job searches/alerts, please register as a graduate via Careers Account
- the Careers and Employability YouTube channel
- the Careers and Employability blog
- Handshake employability platform linking students and graduates with jobs and employers around the world
Work experience support after graduation
The Work Experience team offer a wide range of opportunities which are available for up to two years after graduation. These range from short unpaid insights of up to two weeks, to longer term paid internships.
Remote and home-working opportunities are currently being offered where available within a range of organisations and industries. A number of our internships are supported by Santander Universities.
Undertaking a work experience opportunity after graduation will allow you to gain vital skills to add to your CV, explore your career options and build your network.
All work experience opportunities are advertised on the University's Jobs Board. You can also register with the Work Experience Team to receive regular updates.
The Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) Graduate Scheme is a brand new graduate programme that has been designed to link talented graduates with a wide range of businesses across Cardiff and South East Wales. The scheme offers:
- paid graduate-level employment
- a fully funded professional qualification
- networking opportunities with fellow graduates
- on-hand support during the internship
- access to free networking events.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
A KTP is one of the UK’s largest graduate recruitment programmes which provides over 300 graduate job opportunities each year. By joining you will be able to manage and deliver challenging strategic projects for a business, while being supported by the University. You will be based at the company on a full-time basis but jointly supervised by an academic member of staff for the duration of the project.
By working on a KTP programme, Cardiff University alumni can take advantage of the following benefits:
- Fast track career development opportunities
- A competitive salary
- Employment within chosen academic discipline
- Working both with academia and industry
- Training and development opportunities
- Register for a higher degree during the project
- Access to a wide range of our facilities including laboratories and library services.