English language requirements

If you are an overseas applicant and your first language is not English, then you must have a proven level of English to study on our courses.

We accept a variety of English language qualifications for entry. We have minimum admission requirements but for some courses our admissions tutors may ask for higher grades.

If you have studied or worked through the medium of English, then you may not be required to sit a formal test. We would need to see evidence, such as a reference letter, which confirms your language ability.

Recognised English language qualifications

We accept the following tests for entry onto our undergraduate and postgraduate courses:

We also accept the following tests and qualifications:

QualificationMinimum score
GCSE/GCE 'O' level English languageC
IELTS (Academic Test)6.5
(with at least 5.5 in each sub-score)
IGCSE level English languageC
Cambridge Proficiency (CPE)C (185 from January 2015)
Cambridge Advanced (CAE)C (176 from January 2015)
Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE – A)62
Trinity ISE IIIPass in all four components
International Baccalaureate Diploma
(English language at HL or SL)
Grade 5

Note: IGCSE English can be accepted as if syllabus 0552 or 0511 have been studied. Syllabus 0500 or 0510 may also be accepted – please contact us for more information.

In some cases, you may be made an offer to attend a pre-sessional English course instead of, or in addition to, an English language qualification.

Please note that English tests or examinations must have been taken no more than two years before the proposed date of entry to the University.

Where the English tests or equivalent qualifications were taken more than two years before the proposed date of entry, you must be able to demonstrate that you have maintained or improved your English language competence. You may also be required to provide an up-to-date test result.

IELTS or IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration

IELTS for UK Visas Immigration (offered by the IELTS SELT Consortium) is not required for undergraduate or postgraduate courses. We will accept all IELTS (Academic) tests from any IELTS test centre.

For International Foundation, Pre-sessional English and English for University Study courses, you must take an IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration test.

IELTS, TOEFL iBT and Pearson score comparison table

IELTS (Academic)TOEFL iBTPearson Test of English (PTE A)

Improving your English

If you would like to improve your English before starting your course, or are required as a condition of your offer to attend a pre-sessional English course, please see our English Language Programmes.