Mr Wil Chivers
Address:1-3 Museum Place
- BScEcon Criminology and Sociology (Hons), Cardiff: 2005-2008
- MSc Social Science Research Methods, Cardiff: 2009-2010
- PhD (1+3 ESRC funded), Cardiff: 2010-present
- ‘Surveillance society’ and social control: an extensive body of literature on both the conduct of surveillance in contemporary society and socio-criminological theory concerned with social control.
- The experiences and behaviour of the ‘surveilled’, including resistance to surveillance.
- Internet-based methods.
PhD Topic/ Area
Provisional PhD title: ‘Defying and Denying the Surveillance Society: An Exploration of Strategies of Resistance’
The MSc dissertation examined the construction of surveillance as a social problem and resistance strategies employed in both online and offline environments, whilst investigating the utility of an Internet-based methodology for conducting surveillance research.
Research for the PhD will refocus on the particular situation of the ‘surveilled’ - the impact of surveillance in specific contexts and the associated experiences and behaviours of surveilled populations.