We are committed to theoretically informed research with a clear policy focus. Our research is interdisciplinary, innovative and has impact.
Our staff are experts in their fields and include:
- A Fellow of the British Academy
- Academicians of the Academy of Social Sciences
- A winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award of the British Sociological Association
- A Fellow of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry
- Fellows of the Learned Society of Wales.
We also host numerous international visitors and speakers. In the past this has included Professor Michael Burawoy, Professor Randall Collins, Sir Michael Marmot, Madeleine Bunting and Professor Danny Dorling.
Grants and collaborations
Our collaborations range from partnerships with major universities and international agencies around the world, to working with local policy makers and practitioners.
Since 2008 we have secured research grants totalling in excess of £38 million. We have the highest per capita external grant capture of any Social Science department in the country.
We are partners in the ESRC What Works Centre for Crime Reduction, host the Wales Institute for Social and Economic Research, Data & Methods and the ESRC Wales Doctoral Training Centre, and lead the Centre for the Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions for Public Health Improvement (DECIPHER).