Linguistics in Cardiff (LinC)
The Research Network for Linguistics in Cardiff (LinC) was created in 2009 to provide a forum and resource for linguistics research at Cardiff University and in particular for researchers interested in Systemic Functional Linguistics.
The LinC network holds monthly meetings which provide a forum for the exchange of information and ideas with respect to our individual and joint research projects. They also offer support in developing and furthering our understanding of Systemic Functional Linguistics.
Information about these events are listed on our LinC blog.
We have a number of vacancies for new PhD students and other researchers interested in working on Systemic Functional linguistics, Phonology and Intonation, Corpus Linguistics, Cognitive Linguistics, Discourse, and Sociolinguistics.
Each member of staff within the Centre for Language and Communication Research, which is the home of LinC, has his or her own areas of interest and speciality.
Explore our postgraduate research pages for more information.
If you work within an SFL framework and you would like to visit us, please email email@example.com
In addition to our informal regular meetings, we organise events such as the European Systemic Functional Linguistics Conference and Workshop and the LinC Summer School and Workshop.
LinC summer school and workshop in Systemic Functional Linguistics
Date: 31 August 2-16 - 2 September 2016
Venue: Cardiff University
The goal of the summer school is to offer training and scholarship in both understanding the Systemic Functional Linguistic (SFL) theory of language and applying it to real-world challenges.
Our 2016 team of instructors includes:
- Chris Taylor, Università di Trieste
- Geoff Thompson, University of Liverpool
- Gerard O’Grady, Cardiff University
- Gordon Tucker, Cardiff University
- Jorge Arus Hita, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Lise Fontaine, Cardiff University
- Mick O’Donnell, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Miriam Taverniers, Ghent University
- Mohamed Bardi, Macquarie University
- Paul Tench, Cardiff University
- Robin Fawcett, Cardiff University
- Tom Bartlett, Cardiff University
- William McGregor, Universität Trier
As in previous years, the summer school offers two parallel courses:
- Introduction to Systemic Functional Linguistics
- SFL and Languages other than English
Call for Poster Presentations
Participants at the summer school are encouraged to submit an abstract for a Poster Presentation. Accepted proposals will be presented at a poster session.
Deadline for submissions is May 1st 2016. Send abstracts of 500 words to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is not yet open but should be available from late 2015. If you would like to register your interest in attending the summer school and workshop, please send us your details using the registration form.