Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Funding Your Studies

Person using engineering equipment

The School offers a limited number of studentships each year through the regular funding schemes described below. In addition, we are sometimes able to offer one-off industry or research grant funded opportunities. Studentships are awarded on a competitive basis.

EPSRC (Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council) Studentships

These are funded through the School's Doctoral Training Account and provide support at varying levels for home and EU students. For further information, please contact the School of Engineering Research Office at See the EPSRC website for further information.

School of Engineering/University Endowment Studentships

A number of part-funded studentships are available on a competitive basis to outstanding candidates (home, EU or overseas). Candidates are recommended for these awards by their prospective supervisors, and restrictions on subject areas apply in some cases. If you wish to be considered for nomination for an award by your supervisor, please note this request on your application form.

Industry/Research Grant Studentships

The School of Engineering works closely with industry and other funders and is sometimes able to offer PhD studentships sponsored by our industrial partners, or as part of research projects. Details can be found in our section on current studentship opportunities .

Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Awards

This scheme provides full support (tuition fees and stipend) for overseas students. Applications to the scheme are now made by partner companies. Information on the scheme is available at the RCUK website

Commonwealth Scholarships

Candidates from Commonwealth countries (other than the UK) may be eligible to apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship, which provides support for tuition fees, travel and maintenance costs.

Further details of studentships, up-to-date information on tuition fees and a guide to the cost of living in Cardiff can be found in the main Cardiff University web pages on postgraduate study. Additional information for international students is also available. Overseas candidates may find the British Council website useful too.

For further information:

Postgraduate Research

Phone: +44 (0) 29 2087 4642
Research Office,

Queen's Buildings  58

5 The Parade
Newport Road
CF24 3AA

Additional information:

To make an enquiry about funding opportunities, please complete our online enquiry form