We are a leading engineering school, conducting internationally renowned research alongside teaching that places students at the centre of the learning experience.
We foster a friendly, supportive staff and student environment that encourages ideas and innovation.
- 14th for Civil Engineering, The Complete University Guide 2021.
- 17th for General Engineering, The Complete University Guide 2021.
- 25th for Mechanical Engineering, The Complete University Guide 2021.
- Top 100 for Civil and Structural Engineering, QS World University Rankings by subject 2020.
We pride ourselves on our vibrant research culture and have a very outward-looking approach to undertaking research, with many of our staff leading large-scale, internationally recognised research projects with world-leading organisations.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for the impact of our research. We also ranked 1st in the UK for the quality of our Civil Engineering Research and 7th in the UK for the impact of our General Engineering research, which incorporates Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (Research Excellence Framework, 2014).
Our School is organised into three departments with associated research groups. This structure ensures that we maintain strength in our disciplinary expertise.
- Architectural, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical and Medical Engineering
Our high standards and international reputation mean that we support around:
- 1,550 undergraduate students
- 200 postgraduate taught students
- 207 postgraduate research students
Working closely with industry, our undergraduate programmes are highly valued by employers. We are one of the very few engineering schools invited to be part of both the Power Academy and the Electronic Skills Foundation, which provide industrial experience, professional development courses and scholarships for our students.
As an employer, we are committed to promoting diversity and equal opportunities in the workplace. We currently hold an Athena Swan Bronze Award for our commitment to supporting women in engineering.