Industry Placement Scheme
There is significant industry input to teaching and dissertation projects, ensuring the training you receive is up-to-date and relevant to the needs of employers. The students apply for summer industrial placement to undertake their project work, although the availability of these depends on economic conditions. Industrial placements can be located anywhere in the UK. Industrial placements can be located anywhere in the UK. View slideshow with 2009-2010 projects and destinations for 2010-2011 students.
Placement offers for 2012-2013, starting in May, are from the following companies (list not exhaustive)
- Mott Macdonald
- Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Structural Soils
- Tweedie Evans
Teaching includes part-time staff working with national consultancies, providing a critical link with industrial experience and practice. External staff for 2009-2010 includes:
- Ewan Thomas (Geotechnology Ltd), geotechnical engineering.
- Lee Foulkes (Amgen Cymru), landfill design & management.
- Sam Mitchell (Environment Agency Wales), hydrology, flooding.
- Environmental law (Efren Ltd)
Our MSc courses have achieved national recognition with four consequitive MSc dissertations (2008/2009/2010/2011) being awarded the £1000 Curry Prize by the Geologists Association for producing a dissertation of outstanding quality in a subject relevant to earth sciences:
- Rudy Liu (MSc Environmental Hydrogeology 2007-8) with the project ‘A hydrogeological investigation for the water level management plan of Misson Training Area SSSI, UK’
- James Cochrane (MSc Applied Environmental Geology 2008-9) with the project ‘A geotechnical site investigation at the former iron ore wharf Ferry Road Peninsula, Cardiff’.
- Stuart Archer (MSc Applied Environmental Geology 2009-10) with the project ‘Stability assessment of Lowe Carboniferous limestone using field data and finite element modelling: a case study from the Avon Gorge, Bristol’
- Damien Hong (MSc Environmental Hydrogeology 2010-11) with the project ‘Groundwater modelling and risk assessment for a contaminated clayey till site (Vadsby, Denmark)’
Our MSc students enjoy good employability. Employers for 2008-2011 include:
- Blaenau Gwent Council
- Buro Happold
- Cardiff University (PhD)
- Centrica Energy Upstream
- CMS UK
- Coffey International Ltd
- Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
- Earth Science Partnership Ltd
- Environment Agency
- Hafren Water
- Imperial College London (PhD)
- Miller Argent
- MLM Environmental
- Norfolk County Council
- RAW group
- Remedx Limited (RSK Group)
- Sanctus Ltd
- SLR Consulting
- Statens Vegvesen
- Tata Steel
- Tweedie Evans Consulting
- University of Manchester (PhD)
- Vertase F.L.I Ltd
- Viridor Waste Management
- Western Coal Corp.
- WYG Environment
- WSP Environmental