Careers advice and support
The University will continue to support you after graduation. The following services are available to you:
Join us on LinkedIn
Join the private Cardiff University Alumni Network group and network with over 10,000 members. Engage directly with fellow alumni to ask career questions, hear about job opportunities and find out about the latest news and insight from Cardiff University.
Careers and employability
Our Careers & Employability team is located at the Student Support Centre (second Floor, 50 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3AT) and is open from 9:00 – 16:30. For the latest careers news and events check their Facebook page and follow @CardiffCareers on Twitter.
Cardiff alumni can access careers advice for up to two years after graduation including:
- Up to two x 15 minute drop-ins with a careers adviser
- Drop-ins are available in person at the Student Support Centre, over the phone or via Skype
Please note, during periods of high student demand, particularly October and November, careers advice to alumni may not be available.
To see a careers adviser:
- register as a graduate via Careers Account - you will need to include your student number (without the 'C') and current contact details
- check current drop-in schedules on the Careers & Employability Facebook or Twitter feeds
- if you are unable to attend in person and want to talk to a careers adviser over the phone or on Skype then please call Careers & Employability on +44 (0)29 2087 4227 in the morning to arrange a time to call.
Careers fairs, workshops and events
Cardiff University alumni can attend a variety of bespoke fairs, skills workshops, employer presentations and employability boot camps that run throughout the year. View the Events calendar and make bookings via Careers Account.
Careers and vacancy information
Resources available include:
- careers information at the Student Support Centre - takeaway careers booklets, employer directories and access to a small library
- Career Central - start your careers research and download booklets
- Jobs Board - opportunities posted by employers targeting Cardiff students and alumni. To view vacancies and set up job searches/alerts, please register as a graduate via Careers Account
- the Careers & Employability YouTube channel
- the Careers & Employability blog.
The Santander Breakthrough Scheme offers employer-led graduate internships, available for up to two years after graduation. These paid internships are available in SME’s generally within the local Cardiff area. All the internships are organised by the Work Experience Team and are advertised on the Jobs Board and via Twitter @ExpworksCU.
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education
Each year all universities are required by the Higher Education Statistics Agency to find out what their graduates have gone on to do after studying. In December, all new graduates will receive a request to complete a survey online. Please answer this survey - it will inform future students whilst also contributing to Cardiff’s ranking in the university league tables. Last year we were first in this survey out of the 161 institutions that took part. Help us to stay at the top!
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
A KTP is one of the UK’s largest graduate recruitment programmes which provides over 300 graduate job opportunities each year. By joining you will be able to manage and deliver challenging strategic projects for a business, while being supported by the University. You will be based at the company on a full-time basis but jointly supervised by an academic member of staff for the duration of the project.
By working on a KTP programme, Cardiff University alumni can take advantage of the following benefits:
- Fast track career development opportunities
- A competitive salary
- Employment within chosen academic discipline
- Working both with academia and industry
- Training and development opportunities
- Register for a higher degree during the project
- Access to a wide range of our facilities including laboratories and library services.