Our group conducts applied research into the interactions between the geosphere and human and environmental well-being.
We conduct applied research into the interactions between the geosphere and human and environmental well-being. We particularly focus on the development of sustainable, low-carbon and eco-friendly geologically-based technologies.
- geology and human occupational and environmental diseases - mineral dusts, volcanic ash, coal fly ash, toxic clays
- finding new uses for old mining works - heat recovery, gas energy
- the application of geophysical techniques to the mapping and characterisation of contaminated land at redundant industrial sites
- developing new technologies to map and delineate old mine workings
- sustainability for disused and closing landfills, utilising water and energy resources
- mapping, assessing and optimising carbon sequestration in anthropogenic materials (cement, slag, ashes, red mud and lime).
Yangang, X. (Lead PI; Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University) and Jones, T. (Co-PI) and other Co-Applicants Mobile Crowd Sensing Network: Engaging with Communities to Explore Multiple Benefits of Urban Green Infrastructure. Engage/Inspire, Cardiff University. 2016, £5,000
Schuhmacher, M. (Lead PI; Chemical Engineering Department, Center of Environmental Food and Toxicology Technology) and Jones, T. (Co-PI) and other Co-Applicants Assessing the Exposure and the Health Effects of Ambient Fine and Ultrafine Particles in Areas of Intensive Industrial Activity (UltraPAR). Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad. 2016, £150,000
Ho, K-F. (Lead PI), Jones, T. (Co-PI) and BéruBé, K. (Co-PI) Characterisation and bioreactivity of PM2.5 near landfill sites and their impact on public health in Hong Kong. HMRF, Hong Kong Government, China (2016). HK$856,928; £68,044
Soberon, F. S. (University of Tarragona, Spain), Schuhmacher, M. (Lead PI), BéruBé, K. (Co-PI and Supervisor) and Jones, T. (Co-Supervisor) Toxicity of Fugitive Dust Particles Produced by Cement Factories. Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competition: PhD Short Exchange Studentship. 2015/16, £5,000
Hu, Y. (Chinese University of Mining and Technology, Beijing, China), Shao, L. (Lead PI), BéruBé, K. (Host Supervisor) and Jones, T. (Co-Supervisor) Study on the Physicochemistry & Toxicology of Indoor PM in Xuanwei Lung Cancer Area. China Scholarship Council, Ministry of Education, PRC; PhD Long Exchange Studentship. 2015/16, £20,000
- Reche, C. et al., 2017. Factors controlling particle number concentration and size at metro stations. Atmospheric Environment 156 , pp.169-181. (10.1016/j.atmosenv.2017.03.002)
- Karayiğit, A. et al., 2017. The properties of the Miocene coal seams in the Soma Basin (W. Turkey): insights from coal petrography, rock-eval pyrolysis, mineralogy and elemental contents. International Journal of Coal Geology 173 , pp.110-128. (10.1016/j.coal.2017.03.004)
- Shao, L. et al., 2016. The oxidative potential of PM10 from coal, briquettes and wood charcoal burnt in an experimental domestic stove. Atmospheric Environment 127 , pp.372-381. (10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.12.007)
- Moreno, T. et al., 2015. A new look at inhalable metalliferous airborne particles on rail subway platforms. Science of the Total Environment 505 , pp.367-375. (10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.10.013)
- Chuang, H. et al., 2015. Characterization of pulmonary protein profiles in response to zinc oxide nanoparticles in mice: a 24-hour and 28-day follow-up study. International Journal of Nanomedicine 10 , pp.4705-4716. (10.2147/IJN.S82979)
Reader and Director of Environmental Geoscience Undergraduate Scheme
- +44 (0)29 2087 4924
Air pollution and geoenvironmental laboratory
- bespoke, mobile, high-volume air vacuum pump, 1,100 liters/minute
- tiered foam impaction head, over 10micron, 10-2.5 micron, 2.5-1.0 micron, under 1 micron particles
- three Model 3785 Condensation Particle Counters, for ambient air pollution monitoring
- MicrodustPro handheld dust monitor
- TSI air pollution monitor
- nine 10 litres/minute vacuum air pumps
- bespoke dry dust fine particles separator
- preparation bench for SEM, XRD and ICP-MS samples.
- 4” submersible borehole pump with control panel and petrol generator
- borehole bailers, slugs and downhole loggers
- heidolph leachate tumbler
- herdeus sample drying oven
- double-distilled water maker
- -80C freezer
- sonic baths, desk top test tube agitators, weighting scales, heating plates, mini-centrifuge, sample storage facilities
- preparation benches for sample filtering and gas monitoring
- field water probes for pH, temp, DO.
- mechanical sieve shakers
- sieves and sample splitters
- sedigraph particle size analyser
- vacuum desiccator
- 3 x Drying ovens
- 1 x Muffle furnace
- cone penetration test kit
- 4 x electronic balances
- 5 x lever arm oedometers and ancillaries
- direct shear box rigs and ancillaries.
Field store: resistivity and shallow seismic
- IRIS 72 Channel Electrical tomography system
- GEM-2 Ground conductivity system with DGPS input
- ATLAS COPCO vibrocorer with capability to sample to 10m depth through Quaternary and soft sediment.