Collaborative Online Social Media Observatory (COSMOS)
Cardiff Online Social Media Observatory (COSMOS) is an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) strategic "big data" investment. It brings together social, computer, political, health, statistical and mathematical scientists to study the methodological, theoretical, empirical and policy dimensions of social media data in social and policy contexts.
The £1.5M research programme has been funded by:
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Partnership for Conflict, Crime and Security Research Programme (Global Uncertainties Programme)
- Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC)
- Department of Health, Food Standards Agency
- High Performance Computing Wales/Fujitsu
- Welsh Government
- Airbus Group
Our objective is to establish a coordinated international social science response to this new form of data in order to address next-generation research questions.