Skip to content

Student complaint procedure

The information on this page applies to the 2018/19 regulations. New regulations have been brought in for the 2019/20 academic year and this page will be updated in September 2019. If you have any queries please contact

We recognise that from time to time things can go wrong and students may need to make a complaint to the University. We take all complaints very seriously.

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint this should be done normally within seven calendar days of the problem arising.

The student complaint procedure may be used by Cardiff University students or former students within 28 calendar days of their formal leaving date or graduation date. The procedure can be used to complain about:

  • failure by the University to meet its obligations
  • concerns about the delivery of a programme (taught or research), teaching or administration, including supervision*
  • issues relating to the quality of facilities, learning resources or services provided by the University.

We will accept complaints from individual students or a group of students.

Student Complaint Procedure

Student Complaint Procedure

14 December 2016

Information about making a complaint, including available support, useful contact information and the various stages.


Early resolution stage

Many issues can be dealt with locally and successfully under the early resolution stage of the procedure. You are normally expected to complete this stage before submitting a formal stage complaint.

Formal stage

If you are dissatisfied with the early resolution stage outcome or your concern is of a serious nature you may submit a formal stage complaint by completing the student complaint form and providing supporting evidence. Formal complaints must be submitted to the Student Complaints team Strategic Planning and Governance.

Review stage

If you remain dissatisfied with the formal complaint decision you may be able to request a review of the decision by a reviewer under the review stage of the student complaint procedure. Further information about the review stage and the review request form.

*If you think your supervisory arrangements are not functioning as well as they should be then you must make your School aware of this as soon as possible so that the School can help to resolve the situation.

In order to give the School an opportunity to review supervisory arrangements and, where appropriate, implement a remedy for the remaining period of supervision, complaints about supervision must be made under the formal stage of this procedure and should be raised as soon as possible and within 28 calendar days of the problem arising.

Issues about supervision are not normally grounds for academic appeal and, therefore, you should not wait for marks to be formally confirmed by the University before raising an issue about supervision.

The student complaint procedure should not be used for any matter that may be actively pursued under the academic appeals procedure. Information about academic appeals is available on the student intranet.

Academic judgement cannot be challenged under any procedure. Academic judgement is the decision made by academic staff on the quality of academic work or the criteria being applied to mark work (rather than the administrative marking process) as defined in the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) - The Good Practice Framework for handling complaints and academic appeals.

Other complaints

Procedures for other types of complaints are available. If you have an issue regarding:

Help and advice

There are a number of different people who can help if you are experiencing difficulties and we encourage you to seek this support:

  • Your personal tutor or academic responsible for your programme of study.
  • Contact Student Support for advice and guidance during your time at University on +44 (0)29 2087 4844 or
  • For independent advice on any University procedure contact the Student Advice Centre in the Students’ Union:

Student Advice Centre