The Phoenix Project is the international civic mission partnership between Cardiff University and the University of Namibia.
We align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in seeking to reduce poverty, promote health and support sustainable environmental development.
The well established partnership has improved the quality of life of the people of Namibia and Wales, UK through shared learning. To deliver our promises, our impactful sub-projects, have included:
- educating doctors and nurses to look after the sickest of patients during operations
- creating a vibrant, successful software sector in Namibia
- enshrining a value for national culture and languages in young people
- enabling the police and ambulance services to save lives in road traffic collisions.
Over the next 5 years, up to 2027, we will focus on education and research that will produce major impact for the University of Namibia and Namibia as a whole, focusing on:
- development and delivery of post graduate education and research
- good health and well-being
- jobs and economic growth
- professional skills development
- clean water and sanitation
- climate action
The partnership to date has an excellent track record in delivering UN sustainable development goals in Namibia; in particular, good health and well-being, quality education and climate action.