OPT040 - Contact Lenses 1
This module aims to improve your knowledge and skills so that you are able to provide an enhanced standard of contact lens care.
|Module tutors||Laura Heylin, Louise Terry, Kat Evans|
|Tuition fees (2020/21)||£620 - Home students|
£1155 - Students from outside the EU
*Please contact us for EU fees.
On completion of the module you should be able to:
- have a detailed knowledge of lens design and manufacture for RGP and hydrogel lenses and to know how to fit and assess a range of lens designs
- know how to fit a range contact lenses to correct regular and irregular astigmatism (such as early keratoconus or post graft)
- know how to fit a range of contact lenses to correct presbyopia
- understand how contact lenses can be used to control myopia
- identify, assess and manage the impact of contact lens complications on the anterior eye
- be able to manage the dry eye in contact lens practice.
How the module will be delivered
This module is taught via Xerte tutorials and lectures (PowerPoint with audio), delivered via Learning Central, the University’s e-learning system, with supporting resources and references supplied. There is an introductory webinar, and a further webinar session of guided online learning.
This is a distance learning only module.
Skills that will be practiced and developed
- Advance your own knowledge and understanding
- Collate and synthesise information from several resources to improve learning
- Write concisely and clearly for the academic and clinical community
- Interpret data
- Manage projects and time
- Work independently
- Use a range of IT software packages and online resources
- Problem solve
- Design and manufacture of RGP and hydrogel lenses:
- RGP fitting:
- Astigmatism regular and irregular
- Contact lenses for presbyopia
- Contact lenses for astigmatism
- Contact lenses for myopia control and orthokeratology
- Contact lens complications on the anterior eye including, but not limited to:
- Dry eye and contact lenses
How the module will be assessed
You will be able to assess your own progress throughout the course with a set of key feature scenarios and one set of management case scenarios. The mark does for these not count towards the final grade.
Online Exam 100%: This incorporates a series key feature recognitions and management case scenario assessments and will assess comprehension and application of the clinical management knowledge gained throughout the course.