Skip to main content

Extending a visa

If you already have a Tier 4 student visa or a Student visa (post October 2020) and you want to extend to continue your studies, the International Student Team (ISS) can help you with this process.

If you are in the UK on a non-student visa

There are a limited number of visa categories which enable international students to study in the UK other than Student visa, visitor visa or  a short-term study visa.

If you currently hold a visa in a different category and would like to know whether it is suitable for study, please email International Student Support at or phone them on +44 (0)29 2251 8888.

If you already have a student visa for the UK

If you are currently based in the UK but don't have a Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa, then you must apply for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study here.

If you are currently based in the UK but don't have a Cardiff University Tier 4 student visa or Student visa (post 5 October 2020) then you must apply for a new Student visa in order to study here.

Whether you can make a new visa application from within the UK depends on where you previously studied and what course you pursued, when your current visa expires and whether you have successfully completed the course for which your current visa was granted.

We strongly recommend that you contact International Student Support for advice if you are planning on submitting your visa application to study a Cardiff from the UK.

If you want to leave your current course prior to completion, then you must make your application from outside the UK.

Visitor visas or short-term study visas cannot be extended so you must return home if you have this type of visa.

Help with your application

If you are currently in the UK, we recommend that you contact International Student Support at to assist you with your visa application as our staff:

  • have in-depth immigration knowledge and are authorised by the OISC
  • can assist and guide you through the process
  • can track the progress of your application
  • can verify that your application has been submitted to the Home Office, which will assist you during the enrolment process.

You should start preparing for the application immediately. You can contact International Student Support at or by phoning +44 (0)29 2251 8888. Please note that demand for appointments with advisers is high during September and October.

Applying independently

You can apply for your visa independently, however, we recommend that you email International Student Support who have the expertise to assist you.

Applying from home on your summer holidays

Many students will be using the summer vacation period as an opportunity to travel home to see family and friends.

This is also a perfect opportunity to apply for your Cardiff University Student visa at a reduced price of £348. Please allow enough time for your visa application to be processed so that you can arrive in Cardiff to start your course on time. The Home Office publishes the processing times for visa application centres around the globe.

Enrolling without a new Cardiff University Student visa

The UK immigration rules will not allow us to enrol you until you can provide evidence that you have a valid Cardiff University Student visa or you have submitted an application to the UK Visas and Immigration.

Your visa will be checked by University staff when you enrol here and when you collect your student ID card. If you do not have a visa that allows you to study, you will not be able to start your studies. Ideally, you should have received the correct visa prior to enrolment.