The School of Mathematics is based in the fantastic new Abacws building.
Our new home is shared with the School of Computer Science and Informatics which will allow the enhancement of our existing collaboration and the development of further research synergy particularly in combinatorics, optimisation, data analysis and machine learning.
Abacws is an impressive six-storey building which has been purpose built to suit the needs of our discipline, and was designed in consultation with staff and students to ensure that effective learning and teaching is at the heart of what we deliver.
Abacws offers the very best in exciting new teaching spaces, including lecture theatres and seminar rooms that encourage collaboration and creative thinking.
Various "niche" spaces feature throughout the building allowing students to work in a relaxed and informal manner, either on group projects or individual study.
Other key features include:
- New simulated Trading Room for financial mathematics
- Computer labs designed to enable group work as well as classes and individual study
- Flexible lecture theatres and seminar rooms with innovative layouts to encourage interaction
- Dedicated spaces for student project work
- Spaces open to our industrial partners to enable excellent engagement opportunities for our students.