Yr Athro J Emyr Macdonald
During my research career I have published about120 refereed papers. For most of this time I focussed on developing applications of diffraction techniques to solve timely challenging problems relating to the atomic structure of solids, thin films and surfaces. Much of this work is performed at the European Synchrotron Radiation Source at Grenoble and the Diamond Light Source near Oxford.
During the last decade, my research fields have expanded to include aspects of molecular nanoscience. Our group has performed nanoscale electrical measurements on single protein molecules, nanotubes and thin molecular films. These fundamental scientific issues are important in new miniaturised biosensors and underpin future molecular nanotechnology.
In addition to research, I have played an active part in teaching and administration within the department, as listed in the career statement. I have taught a wide range of courses/modules over each of years 0-4 as well as at postgraduate level. Current teaching responsibilities are listed under the appropriate tab.
Roles currently held within the School of Physics and Astronomy include:
- Chair of Equality and Diversity panel
- Postgraduate admissions for Condensed Matter Physics
- Radiation Protection Officer
Education and Qualifications
- 1984: DPhil (Physics), University of Oxford
- 1980: B.Sc. Physics, Cardiff University (then University College Cardiff)
- 2015 - present: Professor at Cardiff University
- 2004-2015: Reader at Cardiff University
- 1988-2004: Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at Cardiff University
- 1986-1988: Postdoctoral Research Fellow at University of Wales Cardiff
- 1984-1986: Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Bath
Member of the Institute of Physics
PX2231 Thermal and Statistical Physics (double module)
PX4119 Large Molecules and Life
I hold weekly first- and second-year tutorials.
I also supervise several 3rd and 4th year project students taking:
PX3315 - Physics Project
PX4310 - Project
Recently taught modules include:
PX2221 Physics Applied
PX2223 Physics of Solids and Soft Matter
PX3109 Solid State Physics