Japanese Tutor - Languages for All
- 66a Plas y Parc, Cathays, Caerdydd, CF10 3AS
I teach Japanese language to undergraduate and postgraduate students who have opted to study Japanese as an extra-curricular course. Duties include: preparation of course work, developing teaching materials, exam settings, marking assessment exams, evaluating students' class work, speech training, setting goals for students, creating a vibrant teaching atmosphere, supporting establishment of learners’ self learning ability, supporting learners to understand culture and society of Japan, recommending and advising effective learning resources for learners, and answering to problems being experienced by students during the course.
I have conducted language teaching in various contexts, including university classes, professional business classes and children’s lessons. The main responsibility for me is to enable learners to use language effectively. Rather than focusing too much on accurate language, I encourage learners to achieve better communication through language.
I am a Japanese national, and a native speaker of the language. I have had extensive work experience in various working environments, such as education, the media industry and professional organizations, enabling me to gain diverse skills and the capability to communicate with many different types of people.
I have conducted language teaching in various contexts both in the UK and Japan, including university classes, professional business classes and children’s lessons. Also, I have worked as an administrator and translator in several companies and organizations, and at the same time, I have experienced working in writing and doing FM radio DJ in Japan.
Education and qualifications
- 2016 - to present: PhD Researcher (Sociocultural Linguistic Identities in Popular Music in the UK and Japan), Department of Applied Linguistics and Communication, Birkbeck University of London, UK
- 2012 - 2013: MA (with Merit, ‘Gender in Popular Music: A Corpus Informed and Multimodal Discourse Analysis of Top-selling Albums in 1971 and 2011’), Critical Discourse, Culture and Communication, Department of English, University of Birmingham, UK
- 2009 - 2011: BA, English Literature, College of Humanities and Sciences, Nihon University, Japan
Anrhydeddau a Dyfarniadau
- I was nominated for the Most Inspiring Teacher Award 2016 launched by School of Modern Languages.