UK labour productivity persistently lags behind other major economies, despite the UK’s achievements in education. The Foresight Future of Cities project identified that the movement of graduates is a concern for cities outside London, a result supported by evidence on graduate migration flows.
City Region Exchange, working with the City of Cardiff Council, was asked by the UK’s Government Office for Science to help identify evidence on graduate mobility and to generate practical solutions to improve local economies and national productivity.
The GO-Science report identifies five practical initiatives to be undertaken and developed at the city regional level:
- Synchronising learning, employers and work
- Building long term engagement between SMEs and graduates
- Developing the ecosystem for knowledge-rich enterprise
- Establishing knowledge-economy strategies in cities
- Gathering better data to support graduate careers