School of Journalism, Media and Culture
New home for School of Journalism, Media and Culture.
Our School of Journalism, Media and Culture has moved to a new city centre location alongside BBC Cymru Wales and close to Reach, where titles including WalesOnline, the Western Mail and South Wales Echo are produced.
The relocation is supporting the School to build stronger industry links and boost student employability through direct access to major media organisations.
Layout and interior
Architects IBI were commissioned to design the layout and interior design of the School, which features:
- four lecture theatres, including a 300-seat lecture theatre
- six newsrooms and four editing suites, all with cutting-edge computer facilities - bringing them fully in-line with industry standards
- two TV studios and two radio studios - double the offering of the former building - with updated and enhanced technology
- a new Innovation and Engagement lab, where students will develop skills through research-informed practical learning in data science, computer coding and digital development - the lab will offer new and exciting ways for journalists and media practitioners to tell their stories
- the Centre for Community Journalism.
- completed: September 2018
- architects: IBI Group
- contractors: ISG.
The development is targeted with achieving a BREEAM excellent rating. The separate tenants support this with a green lease agreement encompassing sustainable procurement, air and water quality and travel planning.