Our internationally recognised research is making new discoveries and positive impacts on the world we live in.
In REF 2014, 94% of our research outputs were deemed 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent', ranking us 4th in the UK for Earth Systems & Environmental Sciences.
Guided by strategic themes, our researchers are addressing some of the most significant research challenges in the Earth sciences, including:
- understanding magmatic and hydrothermal processes
- biosphere-hydrosphere-geosphere interactions
- physical landscape and environmental dynamics
- natural resource exploration
- global change
- the Anthropocene
- the long-term evolution of the Earth and its planetary systems.