My research interests revolve mainly around sustainable agri-food systems, having developed most of my work in Mediterranean European countries and Latin America. I started my research career tackling aspects of sustainable rural development, looking at farmers' strategies, collective action and the dynamics of civic food networks. These food networks allowed me to analyse urban and rural linkages, leading me to integrate urban food into my research portfolio. I am also interested in food governance, having conducted studies with social movements and more recently analysing the emergence and evolution of urban food strategies. Engagement is also central to my research work, being involved in participatory-action research and knowledge brokerage projects.
European PhD in Agricultural Economics, Sociology and Policies, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia, Valencia, 2011, With Honours Cum Laude. Thesis title: How is agriculture sustained? Following farmers from the field to the market. A case study of olive oil in a Mediterranean Region.
Supervisors: Dr. Dionisio Ortiz Miranda, Dr. Eladio Arnalte Alegre
Panel: Terry Marsden, Jose María Alvárez Coque, Ada Cavazzani, Luis Camarero, Maria Joao Prudencio Canadas
Master in Science, Agri-food and Environmental Economics, Expert on Agrarian Policies and Rural Development, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia, Valencia, 2006-2008. Thesis title: Land use changes in Valencia Region: exploring a dimension of rural transformations.
Master of Agricultural Engineering, Expertise on Environment, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia, Valencia, 2004-2006 Thesis title: Analysis of Rural Policies in Latin America. The case of Nicaragua.
Bachelor of Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia, Valencia, 2001-2004.
- Research Associate, School of Geography and Planning, Cardiff University (2012 until nowadays)
- Research Associate in Universidad Politècnica de Valencia (2011-2012)
- PhD Fellowship funded by The Ministry of Education and Science of Spain, Programme for Training University Teachers (2007-2011)
- PROMOE Fellowship of Academic exchange, funded by Universidad Politècnica de Valencia. Based on Instituto de Investigación y Desarrollo Nitlapán, Universidad Centroamericana de Nicaragua (2006)
- Studentship to collaborate on Research Project “Analysis of Rural Development Policies in Latin America”. Department of Engineering Projects, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (2005-2006)
- Winner of the “ Doctoral dissertation Award” (Premio Extraordinario de Tesis Doctoral), granted by Universidad Politecnica de Valencia to the best thesis defended across the University in 2011 academic year (May 2013)
- Winner of the prize for "Best Novel Contribution" - VI Conference of the Spanish Association of Agrarian Economics (September 2007)
Ana is a member of the Environment Research Group and a member of School's Research Centre for Urban and Regional Food Systems (SURF).
Interests / Areas of Expertise
Sustainable food systems, food security, rural development, agrarian change, rural-urban linkages, sustainable food planning, collective action, social movements, action research.
TITLE: Foodlinks - Knowledge brokerage to promote sustainable food consumption and production: linking scientists, policymakers and civil society organisations
FUNDING INSTITUTION: European Union
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 01/09/2012 until nowadays
TITLE: Action Research: Solidarity Purchasing Groups in Valencia
FUNDING INSTITUTION: GENERALITAT VALENCIANA (Ingeniería sin Fronteras and Utópika)
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 01/12/2011 until nowadays
TITLE: SUSTAINMED: Sustainable agri-food systems and rural development in the Mediterranean Partner Countries
FUNDING INSTITUTION: European Union
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 23/05/2011 – 23/11/2011
TITLE: Los pequeños agricultores en los esquemas de comercio justo en Latinoamérica: acción colectiva, gobernanza y capital social (Participation of small farmers in fair trade initiatives in Latin America: collective action, governance and social capital)
FUNDING INSTITUTION: Centro de Cooperación al Desarrollo - Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 14/09/2011 until nowadays
TITLE: Estrategias de valorización de servicios ambientales en las explotaciones agrarias: el caso de la comunidad valenciana (GVPRE/2008/273) (Valorization strategies of environmental services in agrarian holdings: the case of Valencian Region)
FUNDING INSTITUTION: GENERALITAT VALENCIANA
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 01/01/2008 - 01/01/2009
TITLE: El papel de la agricultura en los procesos de desarrollo y diferenciación de los territorios rurales españoles (RURAGRI) (AGL2005-07827-C03-01) (The role of agriculture in development and differentiation processes of Spanish rural areas)
FUNDING INSTITUTION: Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia.
PERIOD OF PARTICIPATION: 02/04/2007 -31/12/2008
BSc Human Geography, MSc Food, Space and Society, MSc Sustainability, Planning and Environmental Policy
Ana participates in Study Skills module in the BSc Human Geography and delivers seminars in the MSc-level module Local Food and Sustainable Development. She will also be part of the forthcoming MSc Food, Space and Society.
Ana has also being involved in the 2013 Sustainability Science Summer School, a PhD training event organised by Cardiff University Graduate College and the Institute for Sustainable Places. She has been part of the teaching team for the module “Urban Governance for Food Security",
Keynote speaker: Moragues-Faus, Ana. Co-producing urban food strategiesat International Conference: Planning the Urban Food System of the Lisbon Metropolitan Area 10th December 2013.
Moragues Faus A (2013) Rethinking research as a tool for social change. Invited speaker at Community-University Foodlinks, Exploring options for collaboration. Organised by University of Sussex, University of Brighton, Food Matters and the Brighton and Hove Food Partnership. Brighton, Uk, 12 April 2013.
- Member of Cardiff Food Policy Council
- Founder and member of Food Studies Group, Cardiff University
- Member of Utopika, Action-Research Network
- Assessing Sustainability in the Context of Food Security. Brussels, Joint Research Centre, European Commission (2012-13).
- Assessment of International Development Project on Food Sovereignty “Fortalecimiento de las capacidades y estrategias en los procesos de producción, consumo y comercialización como pilares de la soberanía alimentaria en las comunidades campesina e indígenas organizadas de las provincias de Mendoza, Santiago del Estero y Córdoba, Argentina” INSTITUTIONS: Movimiento Nacional Campesino e Indígena, Via Campesina, ONGD-Ingeniería sin Fronteras, Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional 2009.
- Assessment of International Development Project “Education and sustainable development with Argentinean peasants and indigenous people”. INSTITUTIONS: Movimiento Nacional Campesino e Indígena, Via Campesina, ONGD-Ingeniería sin Fronteras. 2004.
Ortiz-Miranda, Dionisio, Ana Moragues Faus and Eladio Arnalte-Alegre, eds. Agriculture in Mediterranean Europe: Between Old and New Paradigms. Vol. 19. Emerald Group Publishing, 2013.
Moragues-Faus, A., and Morgan, K. 2013 Ethical foodscapes: the politics of care Papeles de relaciones ecosociales y cambio global n121, p.113-127.
Moragues-Faus, Ana. "Sustainable Food Planning: Evolving Theory and Practice." Journal of Environmental Policy & Planning ahead-of-print (2013): 1-3. (Book review) .
Moragues Faus, Ana, Morgan, Kevin John, Moschitz, Heidrun, Neimane, Ilze, Nilsson, Helen, Pinto, Miriam, Rohracher, Harald, Ruiz, Roberto, Thuswald, Monika, Tisenkopfs, Talis and Halliday, Jess 2013. Urban food strategies: the rough guide to sustainable food systems. [Project Report]. Foodlinks. Available at: http://www.foodlinkscommunity.net/fileadmin/docume...
Keynote speaker: Moragues-Faus Ana Co-producing urban food strategiesat International Conference: Planning the Urban Food System of the Lisbon Metropolitan Area 10th December 2013.
Moragues Faus Rethinking research as a tool for social change. Invited speaker at Community-University Foodlinks, Exploring options for collaboration. Organised by University of Sussex, University of Brighton, Food Matters and the Brighton and Hove Food Partnership. Brighton, Uk, 12 April 2013.
Coordinator webinar on Urban Food Strategies: Frameworks and Governance http://www.foodlinkscommunity.net/1133.html?&L=0
Research Grant Award
This year Ana has conducted jointly with Dr Roberta Sonnino a review of “the barriers to sustainability in the context of food security” commissioned by the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission. Findings from this project were presented at a workshop in Seville in April.
Ana, jointly with Roberta Sonnino and Professor Terry Marsden, has also been awarded a new Collaborative Project grant (of over €600,000) by the European Commission to do an Assessment of the Impact of Drivers of Change on Europe’s Food and Nutrition Security. This new project called TRANSMANGO will start in 2014.