Pharmacology and Physiology
Pharmacology and Physiology is a research area within which you can focus your studies as part of our suite of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences research programmes (MPhil, MD, PhD).
Research study in this area involves understanding of physiological regulation and disease processes, identifying and validating novel drug targets, mechanisms of drug action.
Mrs Wendy Davies
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 6419
- Cell signalling, especially in cancer and cardiovascular disease
- Airway diseases
- Smooth muscle pharmacology
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Applications of chemo/bioluminescence
Areas of Expertise
Expertise includes elucidating mechanisms of drug action at all levels of organisation, from intracellular sites, membranes and cells through to tissues, organs and intact organisms.
Specific methodologies include:
- In vivo and in vitro cardiovascular and pulmonary pharmacology,
- Cancer therapeutics and neurogenerative diseases,
- Enzyme purification,
- Spectral analysis,
- Radioligand binding,
- In situ hybridisation,
- cDNA analysis,
- Western analysis and immunoprecipitation,
- Proteome mapping,
- Receptor cloning,
- Cell culture,
- Single cell electrophysiology,
- Live cell imaging,
- Immunocytochemistry of total and activated proteins and behavioural testing.
For programme structure, entry requirements and how to apply, visit the Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences programme.View programme