Logistics and Operations Management
Logistics and Operations Management is a research area within which you can focus your studies as part of our Business Studies PhD programme.
We aim to be the world's leading interdisciplinary teams of academics in advancing knowledge, theory and practice in logistics and operations management.
The section comprises four distinct research groupings undertaking both specific and common research projects. The four groups are
- the Lean Enterprise Research Centre
- the Logistics Systems Dynamics Group
- the Centre for Automotive Industry Research
- the Transport and Shipping Research Group.
- The section performs world class supply chain research, and has an established reputation for excellence in logistics and operations modelling and simulation, together with a long tradition of original research in shipping, transport and ports, and sustainability.
- Students may access travel funding from the section to attend conferences or workshops during the third year of the four-year programme.
- The section runs a lively visiting speaker programme with both academics and practitioners of international standing.
PhD Programme Office, Cardiff Business School
- Telephone:+44 029 2087 6786
Particular research areas include:
- Supply chain research: dynamics, management and marketing
- Logistics modelling and simulation
- Shipping, transport and logistics
- Automotive industry economics and sustainability.
The Section also has four cross-cutting strategic research themes:
- Fit supply chain (coordinated by Dr. Jon Gosling)
- Factories of the Future (coordinated by Daniel Eyers)
- Smart logistics (coordinated by Dr. Yingli Wang)
- Service operations paradigms (coordinated by Dr. Sharon Williams).
A list of academic staff that can provide supervision can be found on the Cardiff Business School website.
The PhD programme will prepare you either for a career as a leading academic scholar or to excel in business practitioning or senior public policy decision making.