Established in April 2008, Head4Arts is a community arts organisation which operates in the eastern heads of the valleys area covering the county boroughs of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil and Torfaen.
Head4Arts seek to be a key player in establishing the South East Wales Valleys Region as an area where:
- people in every community, of all ages and abilities, are proud of their cultural heritage and are able to fulfil their creative potential through artistic engagement that is both contemporary and relevant.
- life affirming, professionally led participatory arts activities are recognised as an effective catalyst for economic and social regeneration.
Head4Arts have been involved in a number of activities, including:
- Developed the “History & Mystery” Project and Ynys Gwydr Community Opera in Merthyr in partnership with National Museum of Wales (2012-13).
- Collaborative work with Merthyr Libraries, Red House & Soar.
- Piloted “Attitude” Festival in Merthyr – May 2015.
- 2009-2015 Delivered projects for NEETS / Young people at risk under Reach the Heights & Momentum schemes. Some recent work with Gypsy Traveller Community in Merthyr.
- Developed site specific performance “Elemental” as part of 4-year Cauldrons & Furnaces project in Blaenavon Ironworks for Cultural Olympiad in partnership with CADW.
Blaenavon Industrial Gamelan created for Elemental is available – a very “hands on” way of connecting people with their industrial heritage.
The Head4Arts business plan includes commitment to delivering some projects in Merthyr and in supporting the Pioneer projects, so we are able to direct some of our projects budget towards developing relevant activities and we can devote some staff time to managing such projects.
Head4Arts are currently exploring potential for accessing funding to develop Blacksmiths project.
Kate Strudwick, Creative Project Manager
c/o Llanhilleth Institute