Cardiff Story Museum
A local authority social history museum exploring the story of Cardiff through people and their personal stories and histories.
The content of the galleries explores how Cardiff has transformed from the small market town of the 1300s, to one of the world's biggest ports in the 1900s, to the cool, cosmopolitan capital we know today.
Current learning workshops which are delivered to schools (key stage 2 – 4) and community groups explore:
- how Cardiff became a major port
- the technological, economic, social and cultural changes which made this happen
- the impact this had on the city
- Cardiff’s relationship with the valleys
- the city’s communities and cultural diversity
- the way the city has developed and changed.
We also deliver workshops in oral history and creating exhibitions to promote the importance of collecting personal stories and documenting living heritage.
We have worked on a number of projects in Communities First areas, most recently a CyMAL funded project which took place in Ely and Llanrumney called Proud Community, Proud Cardiff. This project encouraged members to explore the history of their local area thereby increasing knowledge and understanding of their surroundings, increasing sense of identity and sense of pride of their areas.
We have worked collaboratively on a diverse range of projects exploring Pioneer goals with a number of key partners such as Communities First hubs, the University, National Museum, Glamorgan Archives, a number of diverse community groups, local organisations and charities. All of these projects have had the aim of exploring Cardiff’s history and identity and therefore increasing participant’s knowledge of their areas, communities and surroundings.
Dynamic events programme for diverse audiences which explore themes in Pioneer initiative – eg evening talks programme, holiday family craft days, Reminiscence monthly event.
- Gallery content, collections, archive material
- Programme of relevant learning workshops and a Learning Officer to deliver
- A place to deposit research and collections to offer legacy to any project
- Partner potential to support new projects
- Repository for Cardiff related content and resources
Old Library building
Lucie Connors, Learning and Outreach Officer
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2078 8336