Childhood and Youth Research Group
We are a large inter-disciplinary group encompassing several fields of study in the School of Social Sciences (education, social work, criminology, sociology, psychology and cultural studies) and across departments within the university.
Our current membership has undertaken research in Wales, across the UK and internationally on topics such as child sexual exploitation and sexualisation to religious identities, the educational experiences of looked after children and young people, and safeguarding children in local communities.
Membership includes research associates/fellows, masters/doctoral students, post-doctoral fellows and academic staff and our key aim is to maintain, support and develop the diversity and quality of childhood research and contribute to innovations in theoretical, methodological and policy development in the field of childhood and youth studies.
Group activities include some of the following:
- theoretical reading group
- develop and support research proposals for staff and doctoral students
- disseminate draft chapters/papers for discussion
- 'data analysis' workshops
- seminar programme (presentation of research findings, work in progress, ideas for future research)
- themed day conference (academics, professionals and practitioners).