Safety, health and environmental management
We take health, safety and environmental considerations seriously, and have policies in place to support and protect our staff, students and environment.
Implementation of safety, health and environmental policy is managed in the School through two internationally recognised management systems which support UK legislation:
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 (Occupational Health and Safety)
- ISO 14001 (Environmental)
Health and safety
The Health and Safety at Work Act provides a legal framework for safety regulations introduced in the workplace. It is the School's policy not only to comply fully with this Act, as required by law, but also to act positively to prevent injury, ill health, damage and loss arising from work and other legitimate activities carried out within the School.
Environmental policy sets out a framework for environmental management in the School to address significant environmental impacts of the School’s operations, implemented through appropriate objectives in support of Cardiff University’s Environmental Policy, and UK environmental legislation.
In accordance with this policy we will:
- support Cardiff University’s Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) policy and comply with the requirements of current legislation
- provide and employ resources to ensure that competent advice on SHE matters is available
- continue to develop and implement procedures and codes of safe working practice
- provide appropriate training
- minimise our waste and reuse or recycle as much of it as possible
- minimise energy and water usage in order to conserve supplies, and minimise our consumption of natural resources
- seek to reduce pollution of air, water and land that may result as a consequence of School activities
- as far as possible purchase products and services that do the least damage to the environment, and take into account the environmental performance of suppliers, goods and services
- assess the environmental impact of any new processes or products we intend to introduce prior to implementation or purchase
- ensure that all staff and students understand our policies and conform to the high standards they require
- address complaints about any non-conformance with our policies promptly and to the satisfaction of all concerned
- set clear objectives and monitor progress against them
- maintain an appropriate framework for consultation on effective measures for the continual development and promotion of safety and health.
If you have any questions about these policies please contact: