Dr Aled W Davies
BSc (Hons) MSc PhD CEng FICE MIED SFHEA
Director of Postgraduate Teaching, School of Engineering
- +44 (0)29 2087 4314
- Room S1.09, Queen's Buildings - South Building, 5 The Parade, Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 3AA
- Welsh speaking
I am Director of Postgraduate Teaching at the School of Engineering and formerly Head of Teaching for the Architectural, Civil and Civil & Environmental Engineering Teaching Disciplines within the Civil Engineering Department at Cardiff University.
I have twenty years of extensive academic experience in creating, developing and delivering design led modules for civil, structural and architectural engineering degree schemes, as well as developing undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses. Also. I have fifteen years of industrial design experience covering a broad range of construction materials including steel, aluminium, concrete, composite, masonry and timber, as well as less traditional materials such as rammed earth, glass and straw bales.
Whilst in academia, I have pursued a traditional profile of excellence in research and teaching, as well as developing life-long learning material for the steel industry, and gained a national and international reputation for my work.
December 2020 to present:
Director of Postgraduate Teaching
School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Responsible for all postgraduate taught degree programmes across the School of Engineering
Honours and awards
- SFHEA August 2022
- National TCS 2001 Winner of the Engineering Excellence Award, The Royal Academy of Engineering
- Cardiff University Innovation Network Award Winner 2001
- Young Researcher Award at the 2nd European Steel Conference, Prague 1999
- Engineering Council Award in recognition of regional activities 1997
- Awarded Royal Academy of Engineering International Bursaries Japan (1997) and Hong Kong and China (2000)
- Best Conference paper at the 14th International Conference on Non-Destructive Testing, India 1996
- CIWEM Morlais Owen Award for Best Learned Lecture 2008/2009
- National Heat Pump Awards 2012– Highly commended commercial installer
- Dimplex UK Domestic Installation of the Year 2008 and 2009
Member Institution of Engineering Designers
Member Institution of Civil Engineers
Fellow Institution of Civil Engineers
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Fatigue shear strength of slender web plate girders
Advanced Civil and Structural Engineering
University of Wales Cardiff 1986-1989 (part-time)
First Class Honours – Civil and Structural Engineering
University of Wales Cardiff 1983-1986
February 2014 to December 2020:
Head of Architectural, Civil and Environmental Engineering Teaching
School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Responsible for Architectural, Civil and Civil & Environmental Engineering degree disciplines and Director of Studies (Chair of Exam Board)
October 2002 to January 2014:
Geoenvironmental Research Group, School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Principal role within Seren (Sustainable Earth Energy) team; ground-source heat pump design
Atebglas Cyfyngedig (Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers)
Managing Director and Founder
Civil, structural and environmental design consultancy, with projects ranging up to £1.2M across a broad range of materials and applications.
WDS Environmental Ltd and WDS Green Energy Ltd (Renewable Energy)
Design and build of renewable energy projects, including heat pumps, solar photovoltaic, solar thermal and wind turbine solutions
Camplas Technology Ltd, Bridgend
Technical Director and General Manager
Designer and manufacturer of water, wastewater and chemical process tanks, and structural solutions using glass and carbon fibre reinforced plastics.
September 1991 to September 2002
Division of Structural Engineering, School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Structural engineering research, lecturing within Civil and Architectural Engineering including School of Architecture
July 1986 to September 1991
Ove Arup and Partners (Consulting Engineers)
Project and Resident Engineer Bridges and Buildings – Cardiff and London
Responsible for design, construction, assessment and refurbishment of a wide variety of structures throughout the UK.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy SFHEA
- Extensive experience in managing, developing and creating degree schemes, to externally approved standards.
- Extensive experience of civil and structural engineering lecturing at undergraduate and postgraduate level, especially in design orientated modules and structural analysis, as well as structural mechanics, construction materials and management.
- Proven record of creating, developing and delivering innovative modules using a variety of teaching methods and e-learning platforms, and utilising technology to enhance the learning experience and to provide broader access and improved student interaction.
- Excellent experience in leading and developing teaching programmes and degree courses at BEng, MEng and MSc level including curriculum framework, module content, assessment methodology and student feedback.
- Good engagement and working in partnership with local and national industrial partners, and professional institutions to contribute towards module content and delivery, and to embellish the student experience with relevant and aspiring site visits, talks and pinnacle activities.
- Promotion of interdisciplinary work and improved understanding between civil and structural engineers and the wider industry and community, by developing integrated design modules and team working across a range of disciplines.
Research interests include various aspects of the behaviour of steel, aluminium, composite and timber structures, primarily concerning stability, strength and fatigue. Principal work includes experimental and theoretical studies on the ultimate shear and patch resistance of slender web steel and aluminium alloy bridge girders. Closely related experimental and theoretical studies of the influence of plate breathing on the fatigue life of slender steel and aluminium plates have also been performed. Research findings have been included in numerous British and European design codes of practice, such as BS5950 (Structural use of Steelwork in building), BS8118 (Structural use of Aluminium), EC9 (Design of Aluminium Structures) and EC3 (Design of Steel Structures).
Associated research work involved the detection and monitoring of active flaws in steel and concrete bridges utilising an acoustic emission (AE) system. The AE system was developed into a commercial package and received the National 2001 TCS Award for Engineering Excellence (Royal Academy of Engineering), and the Cardiff University Innovation Award for 2001.