Dr Maneesh Kumar
Reader in Service Operations, Program Director Executive MBA
Dr. Maneesh Kumar is a Reader of Service Operations & Program Director of Executive MBA at Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University.
He conducts cross disciplinary research in the area of Operational Excellence including topics such as Operations Excellence, Lean Six Sigma (LSS), Process/Service Innovation and Knowledge Management within SMEs, Automotive Industry, Service Industries and Public Sector organizations. This has resulted in publications of over hundred journals and conferences papers, edited books, and conference proceedings.
He is an active member of ASQ and EUROMA. He has also initiated a first practice based forum on Lean Green and Innovation (iLEGO) that brings practitioner community together to have engaged discussion on synergies and misalignments between the three topics and promote cross learning between different industries. He has been involved in delivering LSS training up to Black Belt level and delivered several workshops on LSS application in different type and size of industries including Kwik-Fit Insurance Services, Standard Life, Admiral, Principality, Bakkavor Group, Norbert Dentressangle, Norgine Ltd., Celsa Steel, NHS Grampian, NHS Sheltand, Edinburgh City Council, Aberdeenshire Council, and Tata Motors. He is also a regular speaker at International Conferences and Seminars on LSS & Process Excellence.
- PhD, Six Sigma implementation in the UK manufacturing SMEs, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK,Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Edinburgh Napier University, UK
- Masters in Research (Business & Management), Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
- Bachelor of Technology, National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology, Ranchi University, India
- Reader (Service Operations), Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University [Sep 2016 - ]
- Senior Lecturer (Service Operations), Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University [July 2013 -Aug 2016]
- Lecturer (Service Operations), Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University [Oct 2011-June 2013]
Honours and awards
- Keynote Speaker at 2nd ACT Summit- ‘Innovations in Manufacturing- Make in India’, Pune, India, 9th-10th January 2017.
- Keynote Speaker & Panel Discussant for Doctoral Symposium, International Conference on Green Supply Chain GSC'2016, Loughborough University in London, 10th- 13th July 2016.
- 2nd best paper award (in interdisciplinary research category) at 41st Decision Science Institute Annual Conference, San Diego (Nov 2010);2nd best paper award at the World Conference on Quality Improvement, Minneapolis (May 2009); & Best paper award at 13th International Conference on Productivity and Quality Improvement, Finland (June 2008)
- Invited as a Plenary Speaker and Presenter at G20 Youth Summit in St. Petersburgh from 17th – 21st April 2013. I was the only candidate from the Cardiff University selected and sponsored by VC office to attend this event.
- Nominated in the ‘Most Effective Teacher’ Category by Cardiff University Student Union for academic year 2012-13; Excellence in Teaching Award for PG teaching at Cardiff Business School in 2012-13
- Shortlisted as the only candidate from entire Business School in Scotland to attend prestigious ‘Scottish Crucible’ event in 2010.
- Invited to deliver workshop on 'Innovative Management System for a Sustainable Food Industry' at the Ghent University in Belgium, 1st June 2010 & 18th January 2011. Currently providing consultancy services on process excellence in collaboration with Gent University to Belgium Food SMEs.
- Invited as the panel member on a research seminar organised by University of Strathclyde on 'Six Sigma for the Little Guy' on 25th November, 2009
- Invited for Guest lectures on Quality / Operations Management to undergraduate/ Post-Graduate/ MBA students at Glasgow Caledonian University, University of Stirling, and Herriot Watt University in the UK and Dublin City University Business School in Ireland; Indian Institute of Management and Coal India Limited in India
- Invited for a presentation on "Some Common Myths of Six Sigma Demystified" organised by Charted Quality Institute on 4th March 2008 at University of Strathclyde
- Awarded prestigious University of Strathclyde scholarship for PhD and Glasgow Caledonian University scholarship for Masters in Research (MRES)
- European Operations Management Society (EUROMA)
- American Society for Quality (ASQ)
- Lecturer (Operations and Supply Chain Management), The Business School, Edinburgh Napier University [Sep 2008- Sep 2011]
Committees and reviewing
- External Examining Role: Subject external examiner for Risk and Operations Management subject on the MSC Risk Management program at Sheffield Hallam University [ 2012- 2015]; Subject external examiner for Operations and Supply Chain Management subject on the BA (Hons) Business Management program, Edinburgh Napier University [2015- ]
- Application of strategic agility concept within service and public sector organisations
- Application of strategic agility concept within service and public sector organizations
- Delivering 1-3 days workshop on tools of continuous improvement for manufacturing, service, and public sector organizations
- Delivering Lean Six Sigma executive courses, Yellow Belt training, Green Belt Training, & Black Belt training
- Lean Six Sigma principles in different sizes and types of industries to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their business processes and enhance customer satisfaction
- Quality Management
- Understanding and resolving Supply Chain issues within manufacturing and service industries to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the entire supply chain
PhD supervision research interests
- Lean Six Sigma
- Process Excellence, or Quality Management applications in manufacturing industry, service industry
- Public Sector
- Not for Profit organisations