Dr Emmanuel Brousseau
I am a Reader at Cardiff School of Engineering. My current research interest lies in the field of advanced manufacturing technologies with a specific focus on nano 'mechanical' machining (AFM probe-based) and micro 'thermal' machining (laser-based). I lead the teaching of mathematics for first year Mechanical Engineering students (module EN1090 "Engineering Analysis"). I am also responsible for the delivery of CAD labs and for the supervision of individual, as well as group, projects on BEng, MEng and MSc courses. I received a "Teaching of the Year" award in 2017 for the module EN1090 "Engineering Analysis".
Prior to my first appointment as a Lecturer in 2012, I was the recipient of a five-year Academic Fellowship from the Research Councils UK. Since 2005, I have published over 90 papers (including 50 journal papers), principally in the area of micro and nano manufacturing.
In 2011, I received the Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers.
I have secured, as Principal Investigator (PI), research income for a total value of £540k. This includes two EPSRC Grants (EP/I012133/1 and EP/M020703/1). Following staff changes in the School in 2011, I was subsequently invited to act as PI for two FP7 projects (MULTILAYER and POLARIC), which together were worth £1.0m. I have also been Co-Investigator on research programmes totalling £1.1m, which comprise two EPSRC grants (EP/F056745/1 and EP/K031635/1) and one EU project (ECOLASERFACT).
Honours and awards
- Richard L. Kegg Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (2011).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2013).
- Top downloaded paper and inclusion in the '2014 Article Highlights' collection for the IOP Journal 'Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties' (2014).
- Nominated for an 'Enriching Student Life Award' at Cardiff University (2016, 2018).
- Named as one of the three Scientific Chairs for the 2017 World Congress on Micro and Nano Manufacturing (March 27-30, 2017, Kaohsiung, Taiwan).
- Teaching of the Year Award at Cardiff School of Engineering (2017).
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME): Senior Member
- International Institution for MicroManufacturing (I2M2): Member
- 2015: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet (Denmark), University of Cambridge (UK), Harbin Institute of Technology (China)
- 2014: Bangor University (UK), Glyndwr University (UK), Swansea University (UK), IET South Wales Branch, Cardiff University (UK).
- 2013: Bradford University (UK), Glamorgan University (UK), Swansea University (UK).
- 2012: Aberystwyth University, (UK).
- 2011: Northwestern University (USA), IMechE South Wales Region, Cardiff University (UK).
- 2008: Int. Symp. for Micro Manufacturing and Nano Materials, Marinha Grande (Portugal), I*PROMS Researchers Symposium, Cardiff University (UK).
- 2007: IMS meeting on Strategies for Global Manufacturing, Zurich (Switzerland).
Committees and reviewing
- Funding bodies: Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (UK), Slovenian Research Agency (Slovenia).
- PhD and EngD theses: external examiner at Loughborough University (UK), the University of Huddersfield (UK), Swansea University (UK), the University of Franche-Comte (France), the University of Lyon (France) and the University of the Basque Country (Spain).
|Access to nanoscience and nanotechnology equipment at Cardiff||Hutchings GJ, Bigot S, Bowker M, Brousseau E, Karihaloo BL, MacDonald JE||Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council||269285||01/10/2008 - 30/09/2012|
|Automated Robot-based Nanoholding, Micro and Nanorobotics, Micro sensors and Actuators.||Dr EBJP Brousseau||Royal Academy of Engineering||4860||08/09/2008 - 25/12/2009|
|Astute - Advanced Sustainable Manufacturing Technology||Naim M (CARBS), Setchi R, Bigot S, Brousseau E, Prickett P, Davies A, Bowen P, Packianather M, Grosvenor RI (with CARBS)||WEFO||1903117||01/05/2010 - 30/04/2015|
|Academic Fellowship||Prof R McNabb (CARBS), Dr EBJP Brousseau||Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council||83333||01/02/2007 - 31/01/2013|
|Nano Tooling||Brousseau E||EPSRC||98995||01/01/2011 - 31/12/2011|
|Selective modification of the microstructure of bulk metallic glass materials through pulsed laser processing||Brousseau E, Harris K (CHEMY)||Ser Cymru NRN Swansea||67197||01/08/2014 - 31/07/2016|
|POLARIC - Printable, organic and large-area realisation of integrated circuits||Brousseau E, Hirshy H, Popov KB||Commission of European Communities||753027||01/01/2010 - 31/12/2013|
|Rolled multi material layered 3D shaping technology||Brousseau E, Petkov PV||Commission of European Communities||251580||01/10/2008 - 30/09/2012|
|Novel instrumentation for high-speed AFM-based nano machining||Brousseau E, Read D (PHYSX)||EPSRC||251338||01/07/2015 - 30/06/2018|
|Upgrading the small equipment base for early career researchers in the Engineering and Physical Sciences||Holford K, Whatling G, Lees J, Anderson P I, Brousseau E, Cipcigan L M, Pullin R, Bigot S, Theobald P, Simpson R N, Kawashita L F, Clarke A||EPSRC||498326||01/11/2012 - 31/03/2013|
|ECO-Laserfact-EC)-efficient LASER technology FACTories of the future||Bigot S, Setchi RM, Brousseau E, Petkov P, Barrow D||European Commission||123091||01/05/2012 - 30/04/2015|
|Laser Processing of Bulk Metallic Glasses||YANG Jiao||Current||PhD|
|High-Throughput AFM-Based Nanomachining for Applications in Nanomagnetism.||JONES Josh||Current||PhD|
|Express Analysis of the Bluntness of AFM Probe Tips||ALRAZIQI Zaynab Naif Rasheed||Current||PhD|
|Theoretical and Experimental Investigations about the AFM Tip-Based Nanomachining Process||AL MUSAWI Raheem Sadoon Jamel||Graduate||PhD|
|Characterisation of Tip Wear during AFM Probe-Based Nanomachining||MUKHTAR Nur Farah Hafizah Binti||Graduate||PhD|
|Study of a Novel Material Solution for Vibration Isolation||ELDERRAT Haithem||Graduate||PhD|
|Experimental and Theoretical Investigations of Nanosecond Fibre Laser Micromachining||WILLIAMS Eleri||Graduate||PhD|
|Hot Embossing Process Parameters: Simulation and Experimental Studies||OMAR Fuad||Graduate||PhD|
|Beyond Lean: A Framework For Fit Production Systems||WILLIAMS Oludare Adebayo||Graduate||PhD|
|Novel Computational Technique For Determining Depth Using The Bees Algorithm and Blind Image Deconvolution||YUCE Baris||Graduate||PhD|
|Manipulation of Nanoparticles by Pushing Operations Using an Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)||GONZALEZ ROMO Mario Javier||Graduate||PhD|