Successful seminar series champions Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity
29 June 2021
The School of Engineering’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) Committee has organised a series of webinars to promote equality and diversity within the School.
The latest webinar held in May 2021 ‘Tackling Racism in Higher Education' attracted a large audience with over 80 staff from across the University in attendance. Guest speakers shared details of their work and experiences within Higher Education institutions, including:
- Mia Liyanage, Associate at Advance HE and Race Equality Charter Officer at Goldsmiths University of London.
- Sarah Mohammad-Qureshi, Charter Marks Coordinator / EDI Advisor, University of Manchester.
- Adrian Liu, Equality and Diversity Advisor, Glasgow Caledonian University.
Abyd Quinn-Azyz, Cardiff University Chair of the Race Equality Student Group, and Mehrunnisa Lalani, Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (Interim) at Manchester University also joined the panel for a Q&A session.
Attendees provided excellent feedback with one commenting that: “The choice of speakers was excellent, the subtopics and approaches were varied, informative and thought-provoking. This was the most informative talk that I've attended at the University.”
The first webinar ‘Athena Swan: A continuous Journey’ was held in July 2020 and invited Professor Inke Nathke, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, and Professor Louise Bryant, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, to discuss their journeys of continuous improvement with Athena Swan.
The EDI Committee plans to run the third webinar 'How to tackle sexual orientation and gender discrimination on campus and beyond' on 16 July 2021. Guest speakers will include:
- Sebastian Bromelow, EDI Partner, Kingston University, UK.
- Dr Alessandro Ceccarelli, Research Associate, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Christopher Clarke, Mott MacDonald & Co-Chair of Building Equality for South Wales and South West, UK.
- Karen Harvey-Cooke, EDI lead & Chair of Enfys, Cardiff University, UK.
If you are a member of the School of Engineering and interested in attending any of our webinars, please contact the EDI Committee to access a registration link. If you’ve missed a webinar, some have been recorded and can be picked up in your own time.