Commonwealth scholarship opportunity announced for 2020
31 March 2020
We are delighted to launch the coveted Commonwealth Scholarship programme for 2020. There will be up to five sponsored places available for exceptional practising Optometrists from existing Commonwealth countries who will make a difference to the knowledge and leadership skills of developing countries. The available scholarships are for the part-time MSc in Clinical Optometry and will take each student up to five years to complete.
Aimed at talented and motivated individuals with the potential to make change, applications are invited for our part-time, distance learning MSc in Clinical Optometry.
Applicants will already hold a qualifying degree in Optometry and must be driven to study at your own pace via distance learning. Applicants will also study in their home country but be expected to visit Cardiff (Wales) on 2 occasions for a series of practical training and exam events (usually in January or June). Costs for travel will be covered as part of the sponsorship.
One of our previous Commonwealth students, Carl Abraham, describes his experience with the programme:
“The Scholarship has changed a lot in my life. From the moment I got into the Master’s programme, I was able to get new employment in Malawi to help develop a new optometry department. The modules I took greatly prepared me for the responsibilities I was about to take on and I eventually became the head of the Programme! I wasn't learning just the modules, I took my time to learn how courses were delivered, the various teaching methods used by different module facilitators and I can confidently say I am a better teacher because of those skills I learnt."
The application process has a number of parts:
1. Applicants must apply and have a conditional offer from Cardiff University. In order to ensure we are able to make an offer in time we would encourage everyone to have completed their application by the May 4 2020.
To apply, please visit our Clinical Optometry page and click ‘Apply now’ for September 2020. You must include the following with your application:
- * A copy of your BSc Certificate (or the equivalent)
- * Evidence that you satisfy our English Language Requirements
- * A written reference which must comment on your slit lamp and Volk experience.
We also ask that you note in the ‘Personal Statement’ section of the application that you are applying for the Commonwealth Scholarship opportunity.
Candidates will also need to apply on the Commonwealth Scholarship website. Please familiarise yourself with the candidate terms and conditions and application deadlines.
All applications must be submitted by midday 16:00 PM (BST) on May 4 2020 at the latest. All applications must include the following supporting documentation by 16:00 PM (BST) on May 22 2020 in order for their applications to be eligible for consideration:
- Copy of valid passport or national ID card showing photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship – uploaded to the online application system
- * At least one reference – submitted directly by the referee to the online application system. Referees will be sent an email request however applicants are responsible for seeking permission from their referees in advance of submitting their application; for ensuring that their referees are available to complete the reference by the deadline; and that the referees have received the reference request email.
- * An offer letter to start chosen course of study in the 2020-2021 academic year – uploaded to the online application system
- * Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
Eligible Commonwealth Countries:
Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia.
Interviews will be held via Skype. Date of interviews to be confirmed.
Successful applicants will be informed by mid-July 2020.