The Cross-Cutting Themes (CCTs), also referred to as 'horizontal themes', are issues that touch on general principles such as democracy, equality, sustainability and good governance.
They require action in multiple fields and as such need to be integrated into all areas of the European Funding programmes and be addressed in the dialogue on development of the programmes.
The aim of the CCTs is to improve the quality and the legacy from each of the operations supported by the Structural Funds and to add value to programmes as a whole. They will require action in multiple fields and will be embedded within the design and delivery of all operations. There are three CCTs:
- Equal Opportunities, Gender Mainstreaming and the Welsh Language
- Sustainable Development
- Tackling Poverty and Social Exclusion.
The Future-proofing toolkit
The future-proofing toolkit aims to help all businesses looking for support through ERDF funding contribute to the wellbeing of future generations and benefit from embedding sustainable development, equality and diversity principles and support of the Welsh language in their future aspirations in line with the CCTs.
Using the toolkit, companies will baseline their current position and, with the help of links to useful resources and case studies, identify opportunities to develop and/or improve their business and make them more resilient to changes in the future.
When a company completes their baseline, they will automatically be referred to Resource Efficiency and HR Advisors within Business Wales who will support them to make any improvements or changes identified.
If you are interested in creating an account and using the toolkit, this can be found on the Welsh Government's Business Wales website: Please use the code 81436 when prompted on the GDPR login page in order to be linked to the Data Innovation Accelerator operation.
Data Innovation Accelerator activities
Since the inception of the Data Innovation Accelerator, we have worked hard to ensure the project complies with and promotes all CCT activities. Examples of these activities include:
- appointment of a CCT Champion, Jordan Lloyd, to coordinate all CCT activities
- all DIA promotional material, eg. banners, leaflets, business cards, are available in both English and Welsh
- the DIA website is available in both English and Welsh and the DIA Twitter account regularly sends bilingual tweets
- the DIA will regularly promote events concerning sustainable development and female participation in STEM such as was done for the Free Data Science Bootcamp in May 2019 and EU Sustainable Energy Week in June 2019
- the DIA adopts a paper-light office which aims to limit the need to print as well as ensure all electrical equipment is switched off when not in use and all recyclable waste is disposed of in the correct recycling bins
- the DIA refers all companies it collaborates with to the future-proofing toolkit and encourages them to contribute to the wellbeing of future generations.